Notices

Sober for a month then Boom..

Old 12-02-2012, 05:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober for a month then Boom..

Hello this is my first post here I am an alcohol have been for as long as I can remember, I started drinking at around 15 I am 25 now and this is the first time I have seriously wanted to quit drinking for myself. I have tried in the passed but it was for the most part always to avoid legal trouble like probation.

Its been about a month now since I have been sober but 2 days ago I got the feeling and I couldnt fight it. I know its still early but I thought I was over that feeling. I have been to meetings and they do help but my fear is that every once in a while I get that feeling in my head where I just snap and cant stop myself no matter how hard I try.

I even started drinking when I was on probation facing jail time. I didnt do it every day but as much as I could without getting caught. My fear is that even if jail wasnt enough to stop me what will be enough to take those thoughts away? Like I said before though at that point in my life I really didnt have a real desire to quite I was just doing it to avoid jail where now I really do want to quit and live a happy life.

Alcohol runs in my family, my mother died from it, my mothers mother as well and my sister is a recovering alcoholic, doing amazing too she has over 3 years. I guess my question is what do you guys do when you feel that part of your brain just snap and you feel like you cant stop yourself? I have a brother and a sister who are very supportive and I hate letting them down. Any tips or anything to help when you just feel you need it? I really dont want to end up like my mother but I see that if I dont stop and stick with it I will without a doubt.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey. I also have usually quit drinking due to some trouble I had gotten myself into. Im 28. I remember when I was in jail for a week (I had no one willing to bail me out) during thanksgiving for an alchohal induced assault at a bar. As soon as I was released the first thing I did was stop at the liquor store and buy a case of beer. Its amazing how powerfull alchohal is. I also just had a huge urge to drink on day 27 of my sobriety. For me my trigger is anger. I forced myself to come online and read peoples posts and I got through it. I think these times are when I would love to have a sponsor. Good luck to you and I hope you can find something that works for you when you get the urge to drink.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I'm glad you've recognized that you have a problem and are stopping drinking.

I do remember getting those intense cravings and all I can say is that they don't last long and you just need to get through them. Each time you get through one of those, it gets a bit easier. Do whatever you can to distract yourself at the moment. It's good that you have some family support and there is always support here, too.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome rbtrucking

You'll find a lot of support here - hopefully we can give you some ideas about what to do next time you get the feeling

It depends what you're prepared to do really - are you open to the idea of recovery groups like AA or some non 12 step alternative?

D
Old 12-02-2012, 07:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi and welcome rbtrucking

You'll find a lot of support here - hopefully we can give you some ideas about what to do next time you get the feeling

It depends what you're prepared to do really - are you open to the idea of recovery groups like AA or some non 12 step alternative?

D
Ive been to about 6 AA meetings now but I dont have a sponsor yet. How do you go about getting a sponser? From what I see all the people at the meetings I go to already have a sponsoer.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not actually an AA member but this Q& A in sponsorship might help?

Alcoholics Anonymous : Pamphlets

(Linked with the permission of Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.)

I'm sure other AA members will be along to advise too (like Fernaceman)

D
Old 12-02-2012, 07:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Hey rb, welcome to SR. Can relate a lot to you. I started drinking and using drugs really early, too. I am 27 now. Probably drank and used more substances than most normal people would in their entire lifetime. Like you, the consequences as a result of my drinking/drugging kept getting bigger and with greater frequency.

It is encouraging that you see there is a clear problem and want to do something about it. I go to AA, too. I have a sponsor, it's really easy to get one. Next meeting you go to, ask if there is anyone around that can help take you through the steps (does not have to be too formal at all). If no one can directly help you, someone should be able to guide you to a person who can. And seeing other people WITH sponsors is a good thing. That means they are probably working the program (the steps). This is what you want.

Keep asking questions. I'd love to help!
Old 12-02-2012, 07:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome rbtrucking! I'm on Day 4. Before relapsing I had 14 months of sobriety. I attended AA and have a sponsor. When I strayed from the program and my sponsor is when I relapsed.

As far as your question about obtaining a sponsor. Go to different types of meetings. Pay attention to the men who have what you want. A man that's living the type of life you want, working the program the way that would work for you. When you've found a man like that, you simply go up to him and ask him to be your sponsor. It's as easy as that!

In the meantime, don't be shy about asking for a temporary sponsor in a meeting. A temporary sponsor is just that....temporary. It's someone who will guide you until you find your permanent sponsor.

Best of luck! Stay with us and post. This contact, if you will, is invaluable. I've only signed up today and my heart is already filled with loving, caring and concerned individuals.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome rb -

When I got those really intense cravings, I came here and just kept reading until they passed. There were a few times when I just told myself to hang on for another minute and then another, one minute at a time. Some people find that exercising really helps them.

You may also want to look at what your triggers are - it might help you come up with your own way of dealing with them. Cravings do fade eventually (thank goodness!). Glad you've joined us!
Old 12-02-2012, 08:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have 29 days today and know how you feel. I just recently realized from others in meetings I've been attending that 30 days, 60 days and 90 days are tough milestones for some and for me I just keeping doing what I'm doing now because when I was drinking I didn't like what I was getting. I also know that I made it through other hard stuff and all I can do is ride it out because it will pass. I also pray A LOT, it keeps me sane as well as talking with others and being honest in meetings.

I was in a meeting on Friday saying the same things you are and another participant thanked me for my honesty because she was feeling the same way. The feelings didn't go away but I did feel less crazy afterwards because I'm not alone.

Glad you are here, hang in there.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!! Sounds like you have already gotten some good advice. I have found this site to be my biggest support. I check in daily to keep myself accountable, and to see what type of day all of my SR friends have had.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1seekinghelp View Post
I have 29 days today and know how you feel. I just recently realized from others in meetings I've been attending that 30 days, 60 days and 90 days are tough milestones for some and for me I just keeping doing what I'm doing now because when I was drinking I didn't like what I was getting. I also know that I made it through other hard stuff and all I can do is ride it out because it will pass. I also pray A LOT, it keeps me sane as well as talking with others and being honest in meetings.

I was in a meeting on Friday saying the same things you are and another participant thanked me for my honesty because she was feeling the same way. The feelings didn't go away but I did feel less crazy afterwards because I'm not alone.

Glad you are here, hang in there.
Yes That is one thing that has really helped me a lot is knowing that I am not alone. Before I went to meetings I always thought that I was just a weak loser that couldnt handle life. Now I see that it is a real disease and I am not the only one struggling with it. It really does make a HUGE difference to know that you are not alone.