Notices

Day 2 and Healthy Goals: too much, too soon?

Old 12-02-2012, 11:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2 and Healthy Goals: too much, too soon?

I've successfully made it to day 2 of no drinking or smoking. I feel pretty okay, aside from grogginess and a slight headache when I first wake up. I'm drinking water to help combat that. Taking a multivitamin, too. The one thing I do resist is exercise... but I'd like to eventually get into that. I'm hoping to lose some weight that years of drinking has brought on. What has been your experiences with weight loss upon quitting?

Yesterday I went to the market and got plenty of fresh fruit, veggies, cereal, bread, milk...and cheese! I keep wandering into the kitchen to eat slices of it. Oh yeah -- at the store a lady set up a table and offered samples of spiced egg nog... I said, "no thank you, I don't drink" and continued with my shopping. I was proud, even if it was a tiny triumph.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

I move slowly.....first drink, then cigs then weight......

one out of 3 ain't bad!
Old 12-02-2012, 11:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Rainy. It sounds like you're doing really well. Just listen to your body and rest when you need to. I rested a lot and still do. I feel like I can do more exercise so I do but I still get wiped out.

I've lost lots of puff and loads of inches (weirdly 4" off my knees!). I've lost about 2.5kg but the best thing is that I can eat pretty much what I fancy and still maintain or lose. I do want to lose more but my sobriety comes first and I don't want too many restrictions. I'm being kind to myself!

I've got more interest in cooking and eating well. It just all seems to be slotting into place. I found days 11-13 tough and also week 4. Stay flexible in your approach and you'll do fine.

S x
Old 12-02-2012, 11:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Raining! I'm right here with ya on Day 2.

Sounds like a nice selection from the grocery which is where I'm headed shortly. Fresh fruit is the best on days like this. I just had a couple slices of pineapple and it seems to give me an instant perk!

As far as exercise, walking is great for starters including the fresh air to combat the Day 2 Downer. I have an exercise room here that I plan to attend on an almost daily basis.

Last summer whilst NOT drinking, I went about every day do simple exercises on the machines and could see results in a month. You really don't need any fancy equipment and there's plenty of videos online that you could do from home.

Best of luck to you and I'm moving forward to get rid of that extra flab around my waste from worthless days of sitting on the couch pounding beers.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I say go for it! The more lifestyle changes you do NOW the better you will feel and it will keep you busy. Plus exercises releases stress be making your body produce endorphines.
My new drug of choice ;-)
Old 12-02-2012, 12:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome!!! Sounds like your off to a great start... Feel free to join us in the Class of December and Under 30 days thread! There is lots of great support here!!!

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rage-them.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...er-2012-a.html

Best of luck to you!!! Have a happy healthy sober day!!!

Regards,

Wifi
Old 12-02-2012, 12:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I cut out the carbs at the same time I quit drinking. I lost 30 lbs in 4 months and since then (I've been sober 8 months) I've kept it off. I also quit smoking when I was 4 months sober and I'm still smoke free.

You know your own body and what you can or can't handle. It's good that you're aiming to be healthy, but don't be too hard on yourself right now. If you need to rest, then do so. If you need a pick-me-up treat, then have one. Nobody can be perfect 100% of the time.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Rain,
I've lost weight and my skin looks much better. I enjoy walking my dogs with my husband. I try to do about 3 1/2 miles a day, about an hour.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I adopted a little shelter dog when i was 3.5months sober.....we walk about 2 miles most days
Old 12-02-2012, 12:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with what the others have said about listening to your body and doing what feels right to you.