Notices

Tingly face and loss of beer love. What's going on?

Old 12-02-2012, 09:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tingly face and loss of beer love. What's going on?

Hi Folks ... Maybe I can get your thoughts about something. I feel a little selfish jumping in here and just asking, but there seems to be a lot of knowledgeable people.

First, I like drinking, especially beer. Honestly, I've made it a hobby. And I drink a lot (for me it's like cheese cake). When I drink I don't get drunk after 4 or 5 beers. I run out of stomach before I run out of sobriety. It is VERY unusual for me to go to bed with a buzz. To do that, I have to drink hard liquor, which I occasionally do. A bottle of wine will get me buzzed, but I don't drink that too much.

I'm 54, and I've enjoyed the taste and flavor of beer and liquor for years.

Until last week :-(

I woke up with a tingly forehead. And when I considered the previous night after my customary 4 or 5 beers, I really felt like crap afterwords, like I had food poisoning or something -- really weird.

I didn't connect the feeling to the beer.

By the afternoon of the next day I felt good, but face still tingly. I chalked it up to coming down with something. Maybe I had a tinge of the flu or I ate something bad.

That night, customary 4 or 5 beers. To my astonishment, SAME THING! Next morning, tingly feeling MUCH worse and hasn't gone away yet.

Okay, I'm not stupid. I realized to my horror that it was the beer. (BTW, I drink dark beer, the darker the better).

I am not a person who does things that make me feel bad. And I drink beer because I like it (admittedly too much). But when I look at the 12 pack of dark beer I have in the fridge now, thinking about drinking it makes me want to puke. Suddenly, I don't even want it.

I don't see myself as an alcoholic, just a guy who drinks beer, maybe a little too much.

It's been 5 days, my face is still a little flushed feeling. What's going on here? I'm in good shape, I don't miss work, I don't binge drink and I exercise 3 times per week at the gym.

- Have I just reached my "Max beer" amount?

- Why is my face flushed?

- I don't have any issues with hands/feet, why the forehead?

- Could I have suddenly become allergic to alcohol?

- Why does it make me sick to actually think about drinking the beer in my fridge suddenly? (I LOVE beer).

- I thought alcoholics felt good when they drink? Why would it make me ill? (gag!) Will I re-acquire the love of beer, or do I have to get a divorce?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR.

Great questions for your doctor.

If you have questions about quitting drinking, we'd be glad to help.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

two beers (in one day) for a man is okay.

more than that is NOT good.

see a doctor
Old 12-02-2012, 09:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Take the questions to your dr and try to find out what's going on. It's good that you're concerned about what's happening.

Alcoholism is a progressive disease and it will continue to worsen, unless you stop.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Okay ... worsen how?

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Take the questions to your dr and try to find out what's going on. It's good that you're concerned about what's happening.

Alcoholism is a progressive disease and it will continue to worsen, unless you stop.
So is alcoholism it like a cliff that you come up to, you stand at the ledge and then one more step is a fall into oblivion? Or is it more like a ditch, you keep walking and suddenly you look up and wonder how you ended up in the ditch?

Do you go along for years and everything is fine and suddenly, BAM! alcohol makes you ill? For example, if I forced myself to chug a bunch of booze right now (the shear thought of it makes me queasy) would it make me feel better?

It is DEFINITELY the booze that did it, that is clear, because when I drank the beer it made me feel ill.

Quitting drinking will be easy if it does this. Other things I don't drink: Caster oil, gasoline, drain cleaner -- and now booze, which makes me want to gag.

Once my symptoms clear up, will I then feel an unquenchable urge to drink? Now I'm starting to feel a little uneasy.

BTW, regarding a doctor, not really my thing. I don't have a doctor nor do I ever go to a doctor nor do I want to ever talk to a doctor. Don't like 'em. My brother is a nurse, I guess I could ask him.

Thanks for your feedback. I really appreciate your words of advice.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

don't see myself as an alcoholic, just a guy who drinks beer, maybe a little too much.
If I had a penny for how many times I have heard that in the rooms of AA. Whats makes a alcoholic the paper bag or living under the bridge? Both drank beer somewhere.It just takes more time for some..

BTW, regarding a doctor, not really my thing. I don't have a doctor nor do I ever go to a doctor nor do I want to ever talk to a doctor.
Stubborn and hard headed. Huh just like this alcoholic.. This episode has got you thinking and worring about things. You could just put it off like me , and keep drinking till you wake up in the ER. And say to yourseself I really should of just ask a doctor..

Sometimes We really need to do things we dont want to.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi markh

BTW, regarding a doctor, not really my thing. I don't have a doctor nor do I ever go to a doctor nor do I want to ever talk to a doctor. Don't like 'em. My brother is a nurse, I guess I could ask him.
thats your call, but we simply can't give you medical advice here - it's against our rules, and it would be irresponsible to do so.

I have no idea whats going on, but I wish you the best in finding out.

If you ever decide you need to stop, this is a great place to be
D
Old 12-02-2012, 05:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm not going to drink anything and see if this flush goes away. If it does, then I think I'll just start buying juice. If it doesn't, I'll have to see a doctor I guess whether I want to or not. I'll give it a week.

I thought about trying a beer tonight, but just looking at the 12 pack makes me want to gag!!! That must be my body telling me liquor is suddenly poison. I have no idea why or how. I've never even heard of this happening. Allergy? Maybe it's a blessing.

Thanks all.