Notices

Day 5, Again!

Old 12-02-2012, 05:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 5, Again!

I have never tried anything like this and desperately hope it helps. I am 39 years old and have been struggling with alcohol off and on for almost 20 years. I see now that it was a crutch I was using because I struggle with social anxiety very badly. I have also struggled with anorexia and bulimia over the years. I have tried many times to quit drinking over the years and have been successful for months at a time, but eventually always go back to it. I convince myself that I can drink normally and I do for a while, but it always spirals out of control. I want this time to be different! I can't bear to disappoint my husband and kids again. My 16 year old has seen way to much and it breaks my heart. I am not sure how much my 13 and 11 year old know (b/c I am pretty good at hiding it), but I dont want to destroy my wonderful family! I am just looking for some extra support..anything to help me be victorious this time. I have enjoyed reading the posts, they have been very encouraging. I dont have a lot of people to talk to. I dont want to overwhelm my husband by continually talking to him.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi thefinisher and welcome to SR!

You came to the right place with lots of support and non-judgmental views. Your story sounds so familiar to most of us as I thought I could handle just a couple beers a night then it went totally downhill. After a week long binge of drinking every waking moment, I finally gave in and realized the alcohol is consuming my life.

Your family is way more important right now than any bottle. Stick around here, read, post and you'll be just fine!
Old 12-02-2012, 06:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and congratulations on 5 days sober!

It's really hard when we see our children suffering because of our addiction, isn't it! But, you're on your way and there's no need to choose to go back and drink. You can move forward with your recovery and we are here to offer support.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Keep plugging along and take care of yourself
Old 12-02-2012, 07:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Welcome to SR and gratz on 5 days! That is a great start. Are you working any program of recovery to accompany your newly found sobriety? There are several that could help give you the extra tools needed.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi! Your story sounds so familiar. I too have been drinking (and trying to quit) for about 20 years. I only have 15 days now, but I really feel like it's for good. Like you, I can't bear to hurt people anymore. And in only a couple weeks, I feel SO MUCH BETTER. My eyes are brighter, I have tons of energy, and best of all, I am starting to open up a bit to my husband instead of using alcohol to "numb out." Good luck to you and keep posting; I just found this site and it has already been enormously helpful.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

thefinisher! You can do this..this can be the last time you try to quit. Living sober is SO much better than what you're going through. SR helps me a TON, stay close and read, there's so much to learn and a lot of support here. Stay strong, keep your resolve, I'm rootin for ya!!