New to this. Please help!!

Old 12-01-2012, 10:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to this. Please help!!

My boyfriend has decided to quit drinking in a few days. He's a very heavy drinker and has not sought medical advice. What signs do I look for to know that he's in trouble and may need medical assistance?
Old 12-01-2012, 10:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sweats, chills, leg cramps, stomach cramps, diarrhea, lethargy, anxiety, insomnia, headache, shakiness, confusion, hallucination.

The way to curb these detox and w/drawl symptoms you might ask? HAVE A DRINK!!!

That's the danger, or one of the dangers, of not going to see a doctor first. Most alcoholics cave in under these conditions, and drink, with every good intention in the world to try it again another time. If he has the confusion and hallucinations, get him to an ER right away, he could be dying.

A way smarter and more successful was to stop is consult his doctor. The Dr. will probably prescribe a sedative and vitamin B to help him with the Detox. Trust me, he WILL want this.

Good luck,
Zube
Old 12-01-2012, 10:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When my alcoholic boyfriend did it, he had heavy sweats & bad shakes. Couldn't sleep, twitched, itchy. Couldn't eat so fed him soup broth.
I read as much as I could as there can be a chance of seizures & you should know CPR just in case.
Good luck.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's terrifying. Wow. I have a huge learning curve. I wasn't even aware until recently that alcohol detox could be so dangerous. That seems naive now!

Luckily, I do know CPR. I can't be home all the time, though. Oh well. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the info and advice.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

He needs to see a doctor.........NO, AND'S, IF'S or BUT'S

He is playing with death!!!!!!!!!!!!

He needs to have medical attention, before he does that!!!!!!

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!
Old 12-01-2012, 11:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

NO MEDICAL ADVICE........Except from a doctor!!!!

This is a life or death matter....Tell him to see a doctor first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They can give him medicine and make sure his heart doesnt blow out
or his kidney, liver doesnt fail...........
Old 12-01-2012, 11:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Bobby is right, SG. Before the onset of Benzo's to help with the detox it was reported that up to a third of alcoholics that got DT's died. Now the rates are about 5 to 10 percent. That is still a high number.

And trust me when I say that he is NOT going to want you there. Do you know of any recovering alcoholics that can sit with him. Check your local AA office. Call them and tell them your plans. They will can send recovered alcoholics out on what is called a 12th step to help your boyfriend out.

here is contact info by state
Alcoholics Anonymous : Local Resources that provide A.A. Meeting Information

Zube
Old 12-01-2012, 11:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know this BobbyJ, but there isn't anything I can do. Earlier today I asked him what his plan for quitting was and he started a huge fight with me. It's what prompted me to find this website for help (I'm so glad I did). He's been drinking ever since and we haven't spoken since. I have absolutely no control over this situation. All I can do is be prepared and pray for the best.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the info Zube. I'll call tomorrow.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The best thing - the hardest thing - you should do, is remove yourself from the situation...You dont deserve to sit there and watch him attempt to kill himself
Wheter its from him drinking himself to death or detoxing himself sick or to death

He's a grown man......And his choices are his choices

Listen to me: he is a alcoholic now and hes just your boyfriend....
He will be an alcoholic the rest of his life..............
Think about how you feel right now....Do you want to feel this way again, over and over??????
Old 12-01-2012, 11:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Its not your job to call...If he wants help, he will call

Alcoholics MUST want to get sober - Until they are ready, no calls, no money, no rehabs, no threats, no tears, no promises, no figthts, will work....
SO: Walk away and work on you.....He has to hit his rock bottom and WANT help!!!

Your not superwoman, you can NOT fix him

Call his parents, tell them......and let his momma take care of him {good luck with that}

Its NOT your job

No matter how hard you try, until they want help, they will NOT stop drinking

If I was young and had an alcoholic boyfriend and had the knowledge that I do now
after having 18 years of an alcoholic marriage. I would be throwing my boots on, and
running as fast I could away from that mess....Like, with red hot flames coming out
of the sides of my boots...That fast!!!
Old 12-01-2012, 11:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You're right ady gil and BobbyJ. The truth is that even if he makes it through this round and quits drinking, there is no part of me that wants to be with an alcoholic - recovering or otherwise. I'm just not sure how to get out of this yet.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Keep posting, reading and learning what alcoholism really is.....
Mine went like this: a mental problem/issue + alcohol = alcoholism
My x stopped drinking and he's still crazy, lazy, mean, but yet can have a nice
side {mix that with alcohol} and hes nuts!!!

Im going to bed...Will say my prayers for you and hope that you make the BEST
choices for YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!........MUAH!
Old 12-02-2012, 12:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Tomorrow.....Go live life, Go shopping, Call your mom or your girlfriends
SHUT YOUR PHONE OFF

GO HAVE FUN...SHAKE IT..LIFE IS SHORT....enjoy it........
Old 12-02-2012, 12:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Bobby J I too wish I had run away as fast as my legs would carry me when 20 yrs ago my ah started with his problems. The only blessings I have are my kids if I did not have them the last 20 yrs would have been a complete waste. Good luck with the detox but as we all know we can to do it for them they have to hit rock bottom and do it for themselves but very few can.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:03 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Listen to what people are saying here!

Quitting heroin will make Anderson want to die from what I hear but quitting alcohol will KILL YOU.

My wife had a seizure and heart failure at age 35. She was a fitness model, not a couch potato until a couple years before that. Alcohol addiction. Is very serious and if he's physically addicted there are medications that can ease the withdrawal - Xanax is in that class.

This ain't a do it yerself project, if he quits cold turkey it can be bad. How much does he drink? Tapering off is safer but under a doctors supervision. DO NOT PUT YOURSELF IN THE POSITION OF 'HELPING'!!!!!

....my ignorance could have killed my wife when I tried to help once