NA Family Meetings

Old 12-01-2012, 05:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

NA Family Meetings

How do women with very little ones handle the meetings? I would love to go, but I am not sure about my children. I have no childcare, certainly others may be in this position?
Old 12-01-2012, 06:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi newbeginnings. I forget how many children you have. I used to go and bring my infant. When he got older he was too busy and loud, and I stopped going because it would have been to distracting to other attendees and I wouldn't have been able to pay attention anyway.

There are some meetings near me that offer onsite childcare during the meeting time (kids just play in the other room during meeting time). You might want to call and check what is available in your area.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When my 2 year old was a newborn, I was really struggling so went to meetings twice a day and brought her with me. Sometimes I felt bad about her crying and would apologize, but I realized other people just wanted to see me do well. My daughter was passed around quite a bit at meetings...they tried so hard to help me keep her quiet. Just be courteous and you will be fine.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

We bring our children of all ages and it works out fine. I was uptight at first but soon realized that I was the only one. People would rather see me make a meeting than not and get a kick out of my daughter knowing the Serenity prayer. She is very well behaved and people enjoy interacting with her. We even have one lady whose 5 year old granddaughter is sometimes pretty disruptive but people generally just take it in stride.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Just Keep Swimming

I take my kids (ages 9 and 10) to Nar-Anon meetings. I think it's positive for them. I also found a Al-Anon meeting in my area that has a simultaneous Al-Ateen meeting so sometimes we go to that.