Notices

Mother of alcoholic

Old 11-30-2012, 04:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mother of alcoholic

Have spent the last 24 years in fear and trepidation about my son's alcoholism. He's a binge drinker and has managed to keep his restaurant server jobs to keep him afloat. My mother was a dire straits alcoholic also.
My son is my only child whom I brought up myself. His father disappeared when he was two weeks old. He's 44 today and as of today he was recently fired from his job and may lose his apartment (unmarried). I am not helping him financially at this time and am trying to cope with this with some kind of dignity and grace. Not easy. I go to Alanon and just started a Self-Focus meeting which I find helpful - many other parents of alcoholics and/or substance abusers are there. Any stories of others' situations would be great to hear. Thanks.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Shelita -

I'm so sorry to hear about your son's alcoholism - it's so very hard for the family (especially a mom). It sounds like you're doing the right things, and I hope the recent events in your son's life will be the wake-up call he needs.

Check out the section for Family/Friends, too - Glad you're here!
Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information