Notices

First Meeting

Old 11-30-2012, 04:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Meeting

Ok, went to my first AA meeting. Other than it being shorter than I expected (an hour fifteen) it was just as I expected and I'm not sure how I feel about that. What I didn't expect were the stories that were just like mine. It turns out I am not a problem drinker,drunk, or mean drunk, I am an alcoholic. More times than not when I go to have a beer I don't stop until I'm drunk and sometimes not even then. I spend all of my time planning my next drink and I avoid situations where I can't drink. I even skipped the Magic Kingdom on a Disney trip with my family because I couldn't drink. That never sounded crazy to me until now!

I will hit the Saturday meeting tomorrow and see how I feel then.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I am just a run a mill alcoholic also. once I start I cant stop, and I dont know what or where I will turn up...

I drank to to much, to often , for far to long. But at the least you can only be late for ONE AA meeting. The First One..

Glad you went though.. Its a pretty cool thing. I am off to my friday meeting.

Keep coming back..
Old 11-30-2012, 05:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I felt the same way at my first meeting. I saw a little of myself in every story I heard.
I know exactly what you mean about not stopping, once I start I won't stop until the bottle is gone.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

It's humbling, endearing, sad, and yet, we are all there to save our butts.

The steps are the solution, the meetings help us to find a sponsor to help guide us through those steps.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by terribob View Post
Ok, went to my first AA meeting. Other than it being shorter than I expected (an hour fifteen) it was just as I expected and I'm not sure how I feel about that. What I didn't expect were the stories that were just like mine. It turns out I am not a problem drinker,drunk, or mean drunk, I am an alcoholic. More times than not when I go to have a beer I don't stop until I'm drunk and sometimes not even then. I spend all of my time planning my next drink and I avoid situations where I can't drink. I even skipped the Magic Kingdom on a Disney trip with my family because I couldn't drink. That never sounded crazy to me until now!

I will hit the Saturday meeting tomorrow and see how I feel then.

Welcome to the tables .. you're home.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 12-01-2012, 04:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations on going to your first meetimg. What helped me, is to listen to things I could relate to.
Good job! I hope you keep going.