Notices

One Day At A Time

Old 11-30-2012, 03:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One Day At A Time

Hello all,

I just wanted to re-introduce myself and give a brief account of what brings me to SR. I am a 30 year old female addict / alcoholic living in Southern California. My family history (as well as my own personal history) is riddled with alcoholism, addiction, and mental illness although you wouldn't know it by looking at us day to day. Especially for my father and myself, sobriety has been a real uphill battle. I've had many relapses and many times where it was very much "two steps forward and one step back" or vice-versa; but I am alive and sober today. I have not had a drink of alcohol in about 5 years, which is huge and I'm proud of that, but I also have a more recent battle with opiates, mainly heroin. I've also done speed and other narcotics and enjoyed them for a time.

My life really started to fall apart 5 years ago. I battle severe depression and sometimes even when life is "good" I find that I have this insatiable emptyness inside that never goes away. I am usually quite intense, passionate about many things but too many to be great at any one skill, and I have chronically had low self-esteem. So basically what I'm saying in a few too many words is : I'm not special at all! I'm just like many of you.

I'm only 5 days clean from my last go around with the evil Heroin BUT I cherish that and I just wanted to share that it is starting to get even a tiny bit better and I'm grateful; So glad. This is a great place to come for support and I come here often as well as attend AA and other recovery programs when I can. I have a great sponsor. I have sober friends whom I respect and adore. They are my true angels.

Today my goal is to hit a meeting and maybe go for a walk or a jog. Exercise is my other big thing in sobriety - keeps the seratonin flowing, keeps me more even and level emotionally. The other huge thing that I try to do is service! I have a million problems right now but I get out of my head (a minefield) and try to help those in need when I can.

Thank you for reading and I hope everyone has a nice weekend!
Old 11-30-2012, 03:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to see you again BJ

D
Old 11-30-2012, 03:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Going to meetings and helping others. Sounds like a winning combination to me.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 11-30-2012, 04:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for you...Looking forward to hearing about your progress...Stay connected.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Baby. I'm glad you're reaching out again - and that you haven't stopped striving for a better life for yourself.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Congrats on your 5 days, BJ!