I saw a counselor today

Old 11-30-2012, 02:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I saw a counselor today

after dealing with my dads heroin addiction in silence for 5 months, I went and saw my schools counselor today. It was just an intake session, but it felt so amazing to be able to explain what's been going on. She listened to everything, asked questions, and I didn't break down and cry.

Normally actual appointments aren't available until February, but after she heard my story, she booked me for this coming Monday morning. (I'm happy about that, but it means I'm really struggling)

Anyway, I wanted to share this with anyone who has been considering counseling, because so far I've found it helpful (and that was only one conversation!)
Old 11-30-2012, 05:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

So glad you are reaching out.

keep us posted. love to you Katie
Old 11-30-2012, 05:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I admire that you found the courage to take that big step. Keep on working on you.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm very impressed that you took this step and are facing your struggles. You are very brave and will be able to overcome anything you put your mind too. What an amazing young person you must be!
Old 11-30-2012, 07:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The best gift you can give yourself is taking care of you. You should be so proud of yourself for finding the strength to reach out for help.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone for their kind words- it's really encouraging!
Old 12-01-2012, 06:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's a huge step forward! Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by illiga View Post
Thanks to everyone for their kind words- it's really encouraging!
Encouraging.........the word COURAGE. It takes a lot of courage to reach out for help. Good for you! Courage is one of my favorite words......it doesn't mean we aren't afraid......it means we face our fears head on and accept them for what they are.

Keep taking care of you. You're worth it.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 12-01-2012, 08:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Awesome! I was so happy to read that you are seeking out help.

Please know that your father's drug addiction is NOT YOUR shame and doesn't mean he doesn't love you. He is trapped in a very powerful, cunning disease. However, if/when he gets sick and tired of being sick and tired.....he can get help but only he can decide that. It's all so painful, frustrating and confusing, that is why it so important to reach out for help.

My prayers are with you!!
Old 12-01-2012, 05:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am going into counselling on Monday myself, finally. It's been a long time coming and I am ready.

I have been attending al-anon meetings which I really do not find helpful. The folks at the meeting suggested I continue to go for awhile because I will have a lightbulb moment. Someone will say something and it will click.

I went to Acoa meeting which I found somewhat helpful. I am reading books on co-dependency and AcoA. But nothing is exactly right, I do not walk away from or close a book and say, "Now I understand". It's not happening. The meetings consist of three or four people with no real input. I am hoping this meeting I am going to tomorrow will help it's a combo of AA and Al-anon. If not then I don't know what is going to happen with me.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

well done so glad to hear you reached out for help
Old 12-01-2012, 10:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hope it goes well for you, thanks for sharing!
Old 12-02-2012, 06:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I know how hard it is to have to wait for a counseling session--seems cruel sometimes--so it is great to hear you will get in on Monday rather than 2 months from now. It is a big deal what you are going through, and you have great insight to get help now for yourself. I have found NarAnon meetings and AlAnon meetings a helpful compliment to personal therapy because sometimes the meetings bring up issues I'd like to discuss with my counselor and vice versa. Keep taking care of yourself. You are doing great and will recover from all of this.