Notices

Can someone direct me

Old 11-29-2012, 01:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can someone direct me

to any previous threads regarding if you can quit on your own without any program whatsoever? I know there must be some and do not want to waste everyone's time with duplication.

Thanks in advance
Old 11-29-2012, 01:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

'Sober for good' is a book that takes a good look at many different methods of getting and staying sober.

I recommend it.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are threads from time to time, but nothing very useful came up for me in search.
There are a number of people like me who quit simply by using SR, for sure

D
Old 11-29-2012, 01:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Not Alone

You have to have some kind of program. You can't do this on just willpower alone. I have tried and failed on a number of different occasions. I didn't want to work a program or put any effort into my recovery. I just wanted to stop using and get on with my life. Eventually I realised I needed a support network and that I needed to do a lot of work on myself.

You won't find many threads about people working recovery without a program simply because there isn't many. There are lots of different programs out there. You just need to find the ones that work for you.

Natom.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Dee - if you don't mind my asking - did you have family/friends though that helped you through in person? AT this moment I do not want to be face to face with anyone on the journey.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I do not follow any specific program.

I did not have any friends/family who helped me along. I had alienated most people in my life.

Books were my salvation in the early days/years and then in 2003, I found SR and have been here ever since. I had always turned to books in time of need and recovery was no different.

I think you should do whatever works for you and whatever it takes to become sober and we are always here to support you.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by natom
You have to have some kind of program. You can't do this on just willpower alone. I have tried and failed on a number of different occasions...Eventually I realised I needed a support network
I agree you can't do this on willpower.
Part of my problem was that a large part of my will wanted to drink.

Acceptance of who and what I was, and what taking a drink meant for me, helped me a good deal more.

I also agree that few of us can do this alone - I'm very thankful I found this community and I'm still glad to be a part of it.

Where I'm not sure I agree is 'You have to have some kind of program'.

If you mean some kind of belief system and recovery plan - sure...

if you mean one of the established recovery groups tho?
that's not been true in my case Tom.

Originally Posted by TTBABP
Dee - if you don't mind my asking - did you have family/friends though that helped you through in person? AT this moment I do not want to be face to face with anyone on the journey.
I've relied on the community here. I have various mobility and communication issues in the real world. Online suits me.

My family were not interested.

My friends were all drinkers or, at the other extreme not drinkers at all, and not at all sure how to help.

My partner has been an immense help to me...but I met her 7 or 8 months in.

I dunno if it helps, but this briefly explains my 'non-programme'
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post2531003

D
Old 11-29-2012, 02:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Dee,

I meant just having 'something' in place rather than programs such as AA/NA etc. I am aware that people recover in many different ways and that although NA works for me it may not be the right thing for other people. Horses for courses. I just mean you need to have something. Don't just stop using and think it's all rosy. Put the work in, read books, gather experience, share your experience. Recover anyway you can.

Natom.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

^ cool

D
Old 11-29-2012, 02:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Not one of those who goes around preaching NA as the best recovery tool ever. It works for me. But there is a fine line between attraction and promotion. We are all in the same boat no matter how we recover.

Natom.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I think the common factors are
  1. Things have gotten pretty bad
  2. A real desire to stop
  3. Research and education
  4. Some type of human based support system
  5. Long term commitment
Old 11-29-2012, 03:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I say for me right now

40% will power
30% change in lifestyle, routine changes to keep busy
30% SR

Percentages subject to change, I'm just in since november 13.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
TTBABP,
I would recommend reading the AVRT threads in the secular forum. This strategy is not a "program". It is based on what the self-recovered population has done for a long time in quitting an addiction. It can be done privately as well. See if it resonates.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

Read about Life Ring. I believe they encourage you to develop your own plan for staying stopped.

Or grab a pad of paper and pen and come up with your own plan.....
Old 11-29-2012, 06:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I second Soberlicious, maybe check out AVRT....
Old 11-29-2012, 07:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

When I think of a program of recovery it means a plan that you commit to and follow through on. I think by having a plan it holds you accountable and gives you direction in the early stages of recovery. A plan could be AA, time on SR, reading recovery literature, etc. There are lots of programs of recovery to chose from. I think the key is to chose something and follow through on the commitment. To just say I am not going to drink without any type program wouldn't work for me. tried that and failed many times. My program is AA, SR, and books about recovery. It works for me.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi TT - I have been sober for a relatively short time - 33 weeks - but am doing it without a program. I've read a couple of memoirs/advice books I downloaded onto my Kindle, and taken some other common sense measures, plus am regular on SR. I've had the support of my doctor but I don't see him that often. Whatever works for you. I would do anything to avoid AA but by doc tells me and I can see from SR that it works really well for many people.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I stopped drinking without AA. I just had enough and decided I don't drink. Rational Recover, SMART, and posting here did wonders for me. Alan Carr's Easy Way was a good read as well. But frankly, just stop drinking and getting on with my life was what worked for me.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I can't thank you all enough for your responses. I am going to try everything suggested by all of you - hopefully something will stick. I'll keep you posted and keep reading here for advice and support
Old 11-30-2012, 07:08 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

SR taught me so much about my addictive nature. The good people here threw me a rope and really helped keep me from drowning.

There is a wealth of information in all the different forums, and there are stories that maybe match the type of problems you are experiencing.

The best thing is that someone always answers you and genuinely wants to help you.

welcome (and I think we might be neighbors)