Notices

I have an IDEA!

Old 11-29-2012, 11:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have an IDEA!

I have an idea to help me in being honest about what my drinking is really like: I start to slip when I start listening to the voice that tells me that "it's just a beer...it's no big deal." And, that voice, is sometimes right. Sometimes it is no big deal. HOWEVER, I am thinking that I should do a writing project where I write down, from earliest drinking memory, every time my drinking was a big deal-- all the consequences: broken shoulder, blackouts, dui, waking up with strangers, just simply feeling so sick I thought I was going to die... etc etc. I should just write down all the gory details, one at a time, and then we'll see if I can keep telling myself it's "no big deal." Just a thought!
Old 11-29-2012, 12:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've actually done this myself and it does help. The thing is ... it's important to actually LOOK at it before taking that first sip!

Sometimes I even look at it at the very beginning of my day to remind myself that I am working on moving forward....

Good luck!

Day #8. One day at a time....
Old 11-29-2012, 12:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think that writing things down is a good idea. For me, it helps me to see things more clearly and to be a more firm grip on my thoughts.

I think you should do anything that helps you towards your recovery goal.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Certainly wouldn't hurt, and it would give you something to read when you think about having a drink.

I had to realize that too when I caught myself saying, yeah, I'm an alcoholic and I drink a lot, but I never did anything really bad (thinking, no dui, no jail time, etc).. and I had to stop and laugh, there was a whole list of bad things that I did that basically I just didn't want to take the time to think about.

Heck, I think I'll do the same thing and write out something I can look at, keep it in my wallet.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Not only was I not honest in my drinking
but also with people, places and things
in my life associated with alcohol.

In learning about honesty in recovery I had
to go about it cautiously, slowly, as to make
proper amends to those Ive hurt or was
dishonst with. Cautiously as to not cause
more harm than good, especially to loved
ones.

There is a process when taking an honesty
inventory that will result in staying sober
and becoming happy in recovery.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

"it's just a beer...it's no big deal."
For me i habbitualy add on to end of your scentence ..... for someone who isn't a binging alcoholic .

Bestwishes, M
Old 11-29-2012, 01:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mecanix View Post
For me i habbitualy add on to end of your scentence ..... for someone who isn't a binging alcoholic .

Bestwishes, M
Hey there, could you clarify what you mean a bit? Maybe it's a bit of a UK to US translation thing, but I was having trouble understanding what you meant by adding on to my sentence?

Cheers!!
Old 11-29-2012, 01:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

when i have thought the same thing "it's just a beer .. it's no big deal " In my head i turn it into "it's just a beer , it's no big deal for someone who isn't a binging alcoholic "

Meaning that I am a binging alcoholic and therefore should not be thinking one beer is no big deal .

One beer is a big problem for someone with an alcohol problem , it certainly was for me .

Bestwishes, M
Old 11-29-2012, 01:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Not Alone

That is a good idea. Whenever I was getting urges I just sat down and visualised all the consequences of using go through my head for a few minutes. It certainly put my mind back on the straight and narrow.

Natom.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mecanix View Post
when i have thought the same thing "it's just a beer .. it's no big deal " In my head i turn it into "it's just a beer , it's no big deal for someone who isn't a binging alcoholic "

Meaning that I am a binging alcoholic and therefore should not be thinking one beer is no big deal .

One beer is a big problem for someone with an alcohol problem , it certainly was for me .

Bestwishes, M
Hey there, yeah, I wish it was more cut and dried in my case (maybe it is and I just have a mental block) but there really are times I can drink and have it be no big deal. If my husband brings home a six pack on a week night, I'll have one or two and for some reason the little voice that tells me "that's enough" works just fine... it's when I'm drinking socially that I drink like Lindsay Lohan at an Oscar's after hours party...(does she get invited to those anymore???) I don't know why this is, but I'm fairly tired of speculating, and I don't think I can get away with trying to make rules like, "I"ll drink at home, but not anywhere else..." I don't think it's going to work. But in any case, my brain is continuously trying to trick me into thinking that it's all thumbs up and o.k, because hey, I only had two beers after dinner last week, and it fails to remind me of the D.U.I I had 14 years ago, a broken shoulder, countless hangovers/alcohol poisoning and gosh, a lot other embarrassing crap. That's why I thought I should write it all down, so I don't "forget."
Old 11-29-2012, 03:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Right now I do the same thing, but not written down, I just go over everything in my head. It's easy for me to forget I have a 'problem' as I can usually drink moderately for quite a while before going on a massive binge, and by that time I & my friends have usually forgotten what happened the last time. But when I put everything together, it's really very obvious that I shouldn't drink at all. It's also useful for shutting up friends who are trying to convince you that 'everyone's done stupid things when drunk!'
Old 11-29-2012, 03:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm a binging alcoholic and that's why I couldn't have any amount if alcohol with dinner. It would eventually lead to a binge one day. I tried the lists. Had them in my iPhone. I couldn't moderate for the 18 months I tried so I'm going for zero alcohol now.

Just a thought.

S x
Old 11-29-2012, 04:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sazzle View Post
I'm a binging alcoholic and that's why I couldn't have any amount if alcohol with dinner. It would eventually lead to a binge one day. I tried the lists. Had them in my iPhone. I couldn't moderate for the 18 months I tried so I'm going for zero alcohol now.

Just a thought.

S x
Aha--people in have asked me if I can have just one. Well yes, there are times I can just have one. A glass of wine or two at dinner is usually no problem. But your attitude is that even though it might not be a problem at that time It will lead to binge drinking at some point. It's a bit of a perspective shift for me that might help me to stop struggling with the whole "why sometimes and not others" question. So thanks!
However, I'm wondering what "lists" you are referring too--the list I'm proposing? I'm proposing it so that it keeps me from drinking at all, not so that I can moderate... I think I've proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that I can't do that consistently...
Old 11-29-2012, 04:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Grace. Sorry if I misunderstood. I read that you we're having a couple. I feel completely calm now that all alcohol is out of the picture. It took a while but I feel very at ease with my decision to quit now. I was just sick and tired of the after effects if a binge. And they got pretty frequent.

I wish you all the best on your journey. I've just read through hit other post here and I can see that you were struggling.

All power to you now!!

S x