Notices

new here!

Old 11-29-2012, 05:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new here!

Hi everyone,I am new to this site,and this situation. I am hoping to quit drinking wine ,,which I do every night around 6 pm till bedtime,,about a bottle or a bit less. I'm 39 and have had alcohol in my life since my 20's..I am serious about cutting down dramatically and not at all during the week. I will be happy if I could have wine only on weekends,and not a whle bottle in an evening. I really look forward to meeting you all,and finding some common base to get me through this..I have tried before, but always found excuses to continue to have a glass...glad to be here!
Old 11-29-2012, 05:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hey - welcome,great to have you here

Same story as mine - least bottle and half every nite and more at weekends! - into day 6 now and feel great - bit tough in the evening but feeling alive again outweighs it.

I tried before stopping during week and just at weekends - doesn`t work really of you do have a addiction to it like myself - just spreads from starting friday to having monday,then tuesday...

good luck with it
Old 11-29-2012, 05:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hiya bee,, welcome to sr,,,my fav was wine too, oh for 10 yrs i could down 2-3 bots a night,,, then i woke up,, on a friday ( if you mean it ,, what better day eh?) and said,, enough,, ive had it.
that was 28 days ago,,, and i havent looked back,,, you can do it hun,,, im routing for ya,, i fell the most fantastic ive felt for ,well,, 10 yrs, lol,,, it is worth it,,, i have me back,, not to mention how happy my hubby and kids are too.
go for it ,, we are here for you xxx

x lv cleoxxxx
Old 11-29-2012, 05:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Welcome Beeliz. I was in the same situation as you, but found I had to stop altogether. The fact that I couldn't just cut down to a sensible level was my clue. If you are struggling with the concept of NEVER drinking again you may want to give yourself a set time and see how you go. I have said a year and I am sticking to it without any lapses so far (36 weeks). This plan has given me breathing space and plenty of time to get out of my old habits.
This is just what works for me; only you can honestly look at yourself and decide.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you!! I am excited and feeling positive on stopping..It's nice to have people to talk with and understand it's not easy,and a little turns into a lot. My concern is my health #1,,and I've always been a fairly healthy active person,,so the wine just has no more place for me. I also have people in my life that drink a lot,like it's normal and I always manage to chat on the phone with them,and it puts the glass back into my hand. I really want to stop..my husband doesn't drink at all during the week,and might have a beer or 2 on the weekend,I always wished I could do that. Here's to a new start,and new buddies!!
Old 11-29-2012, 05:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeelingGreat View Post
Welcome Beeliz. I was in the same situation as you, but found I had to stop altogether. The fact that I couldn't just cut down to a sensible level was my clue. If you are struggling with the concept of NEVER drinking again you may want to give yourself a set time and see how you go. I have said a year and I am sticking to it without any lapses so far (36 weeks). This plan has given me breathing space and plenty of time to get out of my old habits.
This is just what works for me; only you can honestly look at yourself and decide.
great job on 36 weeks!!!!
I guess stopping completely scares me,and I'm afraid of failing. I have so many people in my life that drinking is such a huge part of the lifestyle. hmm,,I wonder if it's possible to quite fully,,I did the 3 times I was pregnant,,I never touched a drop,and it was easy then,,I should be able to....just afraid of failure
Old 11-29-2012, 06:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome
This place is great.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Beeliz

I tried stopping drinking during the week and just didn't! I couldn't even do it for a day. Hope you have better luck than me x
Old 11-29-2012, 01:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Beeliz, welcome! You mentioned being afraid of failure, that's something that I went through a lot too - what I have come to learn is not to anticipate failure exactly, but to understand that if it happens, that doesn't mean the end to things... every day is a new day to commit to being sober (I'm saying this after slipping up myself yesterday after 27 days). Just keep working towards the goal you want to achieve, and try to remember who the person is you want to be when that urge to grab a drink hits. Good luck!!
Old 11-29-2012, 02:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome beeliz

I had to make some changes in my life for sure - my old life revolved around drinking - there was no way to keep that life unaltered and stay sober...

I didn't lose out on the deal tho - I love my life and I love who I am now

D
Old 11-29-2012, 02:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to have you here with us, Beeliz! You can definitely do this. After a lifetime of drinking, SR gave me courage, hope, and some great suggestions. I was able to get free from the tired old routine of getting numb and foggy.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR!
Old 11-29-2012, 04:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wow, it's really great to see I am not the only one. I drank a bottle of wine a night. Sometimes more, sometimes less. I really love the way red wine tastes. I realized that was too much. I realized that even if I don't get arrested for drunk driving, end up in jail, getting fired from my job, losing my friends and my home because of my drinking, it could eventually progress to that. So why not stop now? I do have a drinking problem. I drink too much. I have tried to just have a glass or two, and it never worked for me. I always wanted more. I enjoyed getting sloshed.

About two weeks ago, I quit drinking for the very first time. I made it two days, then drank a whole bottle of wine in one hour. The next day, I stopped drinking again. I have not had a drink since November 16. It has not been easy. Not easy at all. But I know I don't want to drink anymore.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Originally Posted by Beeliz View Post
I have so many people in my life that drinking is such a huge part of the lifestyle....
Hi the lifestyle thing has not been as difficult for me as I expected. For the first 2-3 weeks I told a couple of close friends that I would stay away from social events for a short time to get me started on the right course, then I launched myself on the social scene again, hanging onto a LARGE lemon squash for dear life! If you have a drink in your hand people either don't notice or don't care.
I did tell some friends, and those who asked, that I was 'taking a break from drinking' as I found I was enjoying it too much. What surprised me most was that many people had been having the same concerns about their own drinking, and some even followed my example.
Motivation is the key, and you can't force that. My final motivation was that my DIL was trying to give up smoking, and I decided I couldn't preach to her unless I was strong enough to give up something that I loved but was harming me. Every time I wanted to take a drink I imagined I was giving up smoking and I wasn't going to let that beat me. Now my DIL and I have a competition about who is doing it hardest.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cleopatra1 View Post
hiya bee,, welcome to sr,,,my fav was wine too, oh for 10 yrs i could down 2-3 bots a night,,, then i woke up,, on a friday ( if you mean it ,, what better day eh?) and said,, enough,, ive had it.
that was 28 days ago,,, and i havent looked back,,, you can do it hun,,, im routing for ya,, i fell the most fantastic ive felt for ,well,, 10 yrs, lol,,, it is worth it,,, i have me back,, not to mention how happy my hubby and kids are too.
go for it ,, we are here for you xxx

x lv cleoxxxx
I decided the same thing before going to bed on a Thursday after midnight and a large bottle of wine, so technically Friday. Tomorrow will be 50 days!!
Old 11-29-2012, 08:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Beeliz!! You will find wonderful people on this site, and great support.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey Delilah, 50 days? Incredible! That seems so far away for me. Do you still get cravings? If so would you mind sharing with us how you deal with them?
Thanks!
JunebugApril
Old 11-30-2012, 03:46 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My choice is also wine. I recently gave up but it only lasted 3 days. It is incredible how the addiction just creeps up. i have tried numerous times to drink moderately but sadly I know that I am now beyond that an I need to stop completely.

Delilah1 - you should be so proud of yourself for not drinking for 50 days! Well done.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:56 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You guys are all so supportive,I am SO glad to have stumbled upon this site,it's wonderful.. I am through my first day!! last night when I was preparing dinner( a very dangerous wine time for me) I stayed strong and told myself that when I finish prepping dinner and it goes in the oven that I deserve to treat myself to a steamy bubble bath,and give myself a facial. I felt that when I feel the urge,I should do something GOOD for myself instead,and it felt great!! So today is another day,and worst of all,,IT'S FRIDAY! Dangerous indeed! but I will do something else to detour the dangerous craving time. I have to admit,I woke up feeling very happy,and proud,,even if it was only 1 day,,,we take it 1 day at a time
Every day is a huge accomplishment,and those who do it through each day,congrats to you as well!
I also wanted to share that the other thing that I kept thinking of last night when I was being strong,were all of you people who share this same addiction..it made me feel stronger knowing we can share,and keep one another strong through our weak moments,,thank you all!
Old 11-30-2012, 08:29 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Bee, glad you found substitutions! We have the same wine triggers. Cooking is a huge one. I love cooking, especially with my glass of wine. I would have one for the chef, and sometimes pour a little wine in the pot for flavor.

I have found 4:00, 5:00 and after dinner to be big triggers, too. That "you can relax with a glass of wine now" feeling.

My first time ever trying to get sober was a couple of weeks ago. I went two days without drinking. The next day I caved and drank wine. My neighbor was sitting at my kitchen table and we were chatting. I remember knowing that I was slurring my speech and sounded really sloshed. That was my last time drinking.

Good news: Yesterday I didn't really have any cravings or triggers at all. So it does get better.

JunebugApril - Sober 13 days