Notices

Non-Alcoholic Beverages

Old 11-28-2012, 03:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Non-Alcoholic Beverages

Are non-alcoholic beers and wines a good idea when choosing a life alcohol-free? My sister and sister-in-law drank those when they were pregnant and they didn't taste bad.

I have been trying some new non-alcoholic drink recipes for the holidays. Non-alcoholic egg nog is just as good... who would have thought? I just want something that I can make that is like a bloody mary or sex on the beach when I go to parties or have people over. I like the taste but want to stay away from the alcohol part.

Any ideas?
Old 11-28-2012, 03:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It was always too much of a trigger for me. You may be drinking them and then start thinking how tomato juice tastes better with vodka in it... I had to change my habits completely. No one really drinks alcohol for the taste anyway, you learn to like it, like smoking, then you're hooked.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It would be a trigger for me as well. I go with starbucks now for a treat when I am out. If I am home I fire up the keurig. They have some really great flavors out there
Old 11-28-2012, 07:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank goodness they make fat free hot chocolate and whipped cream, I have been having it nightly.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
"Why So Serious?"

It's a trigger for me as well. Also - read the ingredients. It has alcohol in it. VERY little but still alcohol that could trigger something in your brain.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That sounds delish delilah! Thanks for reminding me of that treat
Old 11-28-2012, 07:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I myself found it a trigger also. NA beer and wine just made me want alcohol in it. Now i just stick to Perrier, soda water and lemon, or herbal teas. But hey, if it works for you there is no problem with that.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Location: Las Vegas, Nevada... Originally from Cincinnati, Ohio
There was another thread about this a while back. People have found that drinking "non-alcoholic" drinks contributed to relapses for some. I say don't risk it.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

This topic comes up a lot.

Really up to you patty. Many people think it is a trigger. Many people think you are using a dangerous replacement for alcohol instead of just letting it go. Many people think it can lead to relapse. Others will say go ahead as long as you don't drink.

Ask yourself - Its honestly the taste you miss? So those drinks without alcohol will taste the same, and you will be fine sticking with them? I find that hard to believe, but only you know.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the input! I think I will stay away from them for now.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JJay View Post
It's a trigger for me as well. Also - read the ingredients. It has alcohol in it. VERY little but still alcohol that could trigger something in your brain.
Fruit juice has trace alcohol as well. Not a big deal IMHO
Old 11-29-2012, 12:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was a beer drinker.

I don't drink NA beer - but I used to.

It looked like beer, felt like a can of beer, it smelt like beer, it had that same condensation thing on the can like a beer, the same fizz and foam when you pop the can, tasted like beer (kinda)....

Then I'd wonder why I'd go out everytime and get 'real' beer.
I was still knee deep in old behaviours, and didn't even realise it.

I've never had that problem with fruit juice

D
Old 11-29-2012, 02:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Not Alone

There has been several threads about non-alcoholic drinks over the last month or so. They are one of those things that stir up a great deal of controversy. My experience with non-alcoholic beverages has been a negative one. When I started my recovery I was drinking them just on special occasions such as birthdays or weddings. However I soon ended up with a stockpile of them in the fridge and it wasn't long until I was actually drinking alcohol again.

The alcohol content of these drinks is not the worry. You can get true 0% percent non-alcoholic drinks. It is all the association that comes with the drinks that is dangerous. The bottles/cans look pretty much like a standard alcoholic beverage. Even if you make non-alcoholic eggnog your mind is still associating eggnog with alcohol. Then there's the taste of non-alcoholic beer. Firstly, they taste pretty crappy but they do taste somewhat like beer.

Similarly non-alcoholic cocktails are a no-go in my book. You are still mixing up all the ingredients, maybe even using a shaker and a blender but not adding alcohol. You are walking a very fine line that is littered with association. I had to learn the hard way even after many people warned me off those types of drinks. However this is just my opinion. But why risk taunting your alcoholic.

Natom.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I drank to get drunk, so I never saw the point of NA beer.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I love beer and I miss beer. I got and drank a 6 pack of NA Beer then a couple of days later I was drinking real beer. For me I keep away from any imitation alcohol products.