Notices

how can i feel better?

Old 11-28-2012, 12:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy how can i feel better?

I just got my 2nd dui in the state on NC 2 days ago. i cant sleep or eat, i just want to drink. i feel scared and alone. im afraid ill lose my grants for school. can someone tell me what im in for? i just want to feel better
-Rachel O
Old 11-28-2012, 12:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't know what you're in for legally - I have no experience or knowledge of DUIs in the US, but I know one thing that is universal to 'us' - drinking will NOT make ANYTHING any better.

What will make you feel better is getting sober and living a life free from the guilt, shame and regret that alcohol causes. You may feel like you cannot face this without alcohol, but alcohol has got you here right now. It is insanity to believe that it'll solve the issue it caused.

I'm glad you're here. You'll find so much support here.

Wishing you all the best. You can get through this and you will, if you believe in yourself.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I don't know the laws in North Carolina, but I suggest you talk to legal counsel. They would be able to guide you as to what you can expect. I only had one DUI and it was several years ago and I live in a different state.

Whatever happens, it won't be the end of the world. You will get through it, but drinking certainly won't help. You will find a lot of support here if you want to quit drinking.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
YEM
05/07/2011

Ask an attorney what you will be in for. What people say might happen in an online support group doesnt really carry much weight. I got into a bunch of legal trouble, DUI, possession, paraphernalia, etc and what I got was not even close to what I thought I would get after I first got out of jail.

I got a lawyer, voluntarily went to treatment, voluntarily got a meeting sheet signed every NA meeting I went to 120 meetings (1 per day) before my first court date. I have been clean ever since I got out of jail.

As far as feeling better, its just a process. You are facing consequences for your actions and it is painful. Acceptance of your situation and what you need to do about it would be a great place to start. You cant change it, only move forward and change the way you have been living. Find a real life support group and go often.

Use this as a starting point on your journey of recovery. Your life will get much better.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If you want sobriety find a Aa meeting. I got sober after my first DUI but I got sober because I want the cycle of craziness in my life. I wanted and needed a different way of life. I know there is no situation that alchol won't make worse.
Maybe this is your wake up call. Or you mite be one of te people who die if the disease, I know its harsh but I've known a lot of people who have died drunk that helps remind me its not getting any better. Instead of getting a DUI you could have crossed the center line and killed a family. I know I'm very lucky I never killed anyone when I used to drink and drive had lots of close calls. Self centeredness self pity anger hostility tring to control everything when I can't control anything. Since coming into the program I've been give a new way of life that I could never have imagined. I got two little boys who never have seen me drink at least not yet. If you want it its there look up alcholics anonymous in the phone book and give them a call. You have to surrender to win. Best of luck!
Old 11-28-2012, 01:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome summerpapaya -

I'm so sorry for what you're going through. I've never had a DUI, but that was pure luck.... Lots of people here have been through it and come out on the other side.

I understand that the first thing we'd want to do is drink it away, but when the alcohol wears off, then what? All you can do is start from here and take a step towards a solution (call a lawyer, get help, etc.). I'm really glad you reached out today - with a little help you can turn things around for yourself.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and I'm sorry for your situation.

Do try to talk to a lawyer and get some advice as to what to do. And, of course, staying sober will be the best thing.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some great advice here Rachel - do get some legal advice

And drinking just won't help...

I hope the legal counsel you get can help set your mind a little bit more at ease

D
Old 11-28-2012, 01:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey Rachel. Going through the same thing in NY. As said and as you remember probably from your first it's a process. Yes, this one is going to be worse. Let's help each other through it as I imagine our punishments our going to be similar. Don't drive yourself batsh*t in the meantime before talking to an attorney. Keep in touch with me.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

thank you so much. i just feel so weak and lonely, they're taking my license for a year no matter what because I refused to take the breathalyzer test I just want it to be all over
Old 11-28-2012, 01:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If it makes you feel any better, on your second one they take it for a year anyway as they did mine and I didn't refuse. Mine was my 2nd within 5 years so I am ineligible for a hardship (work) license. If anything you refusing may give your attorney a little more room to work with.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have had three DUIs in five years. The last two were three months apart and wounded up counting only once when all was said and done.

Do call around for a lawyer- stay sober and those will be your saving graces.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
teacher in need of knowledge

Get a lawyer
STAY clean and sober
Be patience and kind to yourself
All will get better because you are sober
Let go