Addicted Friend

Old 11-28-2012, 11:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Addicted Friend

I met Melisa in 2011. She was an intelligent 40 year old, thin good looking women with a Roxy problem from hell! Her main supplier was a legal pain clinic in Sanford, Fl. who dispensed prescription drugs like candy. The money borrowing started with $20 here and $20 there. The reasons ranged from no time on her phone to needing gas. During the following month a entirely new world opened to me! The seedy world created by unscrupulous doctors an clinics. Melisa allowed me into her world! My introduction was first paying the $200 charge excepted in cash only, at the clinic. Three hours later we were on our way to the drug store to get the 150, 30′s, 75, 15′s (Roxy’s) and 75 ativans (lorazeparn). However 15 days into the purchase Melisa was out of the Roxy’s which she crushed in a long red straw and snorted. Her excuse was she was not able to take in the usual method (orally) because they made her sick. The excuses continued to mount on reasons why she had run out 14-15 days into the prescription. They ranged from her boy friend, (who I found out much later was as addicted as her to a myriad of prescription to illegal drugs) stealing her drugs to phantom people breaking into the motel room they were renting ($800 per/month) an taking her scripts.
On about that 15th day of every month there it would start. The promises to leave the scripts with me and anything she felt would convince me she was trying to kick it all!! However it would never happen! The excuses would run from hiding them so the boy friend could not find them to flat out losing them. The deceit was deepening.
I was introduced to the real drug underworld! Names like Jersey, NY and Little Wiley and the likes were common place. Daily trips to the hood for 5 here, 3 there, what ever money I could muster up for her pain. However it became more as the boy friend needed his weed also. The most amount was around $1600 for the street purchases for 15-18 day extra supply of Roxy’s alone. The majority of her time was consumed with phone calls trying to make a buy. These were Melisa’s friends!.
Other signs were there as well. Purchases made as gifts to her and clothing she needed, she would ask for the receipts, which I thought nothing of, only to return the items for cash! She slept constantly with the excuse she could not get any sleep because of her boy friends constant snoring.
Stories of, or should I say inferences to parental abuse to being raped were common in her tales. She never got into details just infer this occurred.!
Let me mention Melisa has a daughter of 17 (now 18), Jordan, who’s dad had fought Melisa for custody for many years. In July of 2011 he finally won. Melisa had made this man appear to be a monster! However I found through communication with Jordan, with whom I still enjoy a great friendship , that her Mom had used the money her father was sending for anything but her.His day finally arrived! It seems he was visiting with his daughter when Melisa and boy friend were involved in a felony traffic stop with both of them going to jail. Him on a possession charge of more then 20 grams of marijuana, driving on the suspended list and her for drug paraphernalia, possession of class II narcotics and under 20 grams of marijuana. All this resulted in the loss of her 2002 Cadillac and several hundreds of dollars in attorneys fees, bond and the likes. The court let her off easy! However, dad was granted custody and she was granted supervised visitation. She chose to fight this by ignoring all she had to do (drug rehab) and wrote it off as “I will just wait til she is 18″. The drugs had become more important than her own child!
I stopped giving her money in December, 2011. The amount had exceeded over $20, 000 in a 4 month period and NOTHING had changed. Her fines had not been paid, her license was suspended and on an on. I was still the bad guy at her beckon call! These amounts included daily contributions for food, gas, laundry, drugs and the likes. Trips to pick up her daughter for a weekend (440 miles round trip) and any excuse she could conjure up to get MONEY!
April, 2012,Melisa chose to ran away to Indiana with her boy friend. This was after going through another $3000.00 (January thru March) assuring me she was leaving her boy friend and going to do the right thing . She did not use the money to pay her fines or improve her situation as I was coned into believing but rather collecting an estimated $2800.00 from a false insurance claim which they used to move to Indiana. His fines and license has been reinstated due to a caring mother. This is the only thing that changed! Melisa still has a suspended license, all the fines still not paid, storage that has gone to auction and the other car she owned is now junk as the engine has thrown a rod and a cracked engine block.
She called for help in May of this year to which I purchased an airline ticket for her and sent $150 to provide transportation and extra baggage fees of which she immediately spent the money and never used the ticket. (Non Refundable) Recently I received a call from her daughter that she wanted to talk to me. Like a an idiot I said okay. Her tale this time was she hated it there, she was freezing, her boy friend was keeping all the money, she had pneumonia but could not afford the antibiotics prescription, she had not eaten in several days an she wanted to come home.
I sent some money for food and such. Then she had a fight with him (semi physical) an needed to go to a motel of which I forked over another $300 (5 days total motel stay) Then the excuses started, face swollen needed a dentist, needed the prescription filled for the pneumonia, could not travel until she was better which turned into “well we will see, one thing at a time”. I realized again within 3 weeks I had been HAD! I cut the money albeit a bit late! $1200 and Melisa is still in Indiana doing whatever it takes, short of prostitution but who knows there and carrying all the monkeys on her back.
I wrote this in hopes that it reaches someone addicted or someone who is caught up in trying to help one who is and strikes a familiar cord! Realize that an addict not only destroys their life but people that truly care! It is a horrible thing to see people degenerate into this pit. I still love Melisa but realize I was a pawn to reach an end. She is still alive, god willing, but I will not assist her with money EVER again. I realize now that until she seeks help on her own it will never change.
However there is a really good person under all those scarred layers. I won’t give up hope because that’s all I have left!
Thanks all for reading!