Was it just quacking?

Old 11-27-2012, 01:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Was it just quacking?

I am trying to find the reasoning why my exabf would say what he said when we split & now it seems it obviously meant nothing.

Was it just the alcoholic quacking? Was he just filling in time until he hooked up with new girlfriend?

Things said were:
I will always love you
We will look out for one another
This is a big one for me - "I wish with all my heart not to loose contact with you".

Am I looking into this too much, searching for answers that will never come?
It just seems hurtful to say stuff like that when it seems it was all complete BS.

Should I just put it down to quacking & realise it meant nothing?
Old 11-27-2012, 02:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would like to know the answer to that too! Last time AH stopped talking to me, he moved out for a year. Then I got an email out of the blue saying 'I love you and I always will. I love your sense of style and humour'. It's a mystery!!
Old 11-27-2012, 02:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Does it matter? His words do not determine your worth or your life's meaning. Only you can do that. I normally don't quote Hunter S. Thompson, but this one struck me recently:

“We are all alone, born alone, die alone, and -- in spite of True Romance magazines -- we shall all someday look back on our lives and see that, in spite of our company, we were alone the whole way. I do not say lonely -- at least, not all the time -- but essentially, and finally, alone. This is what makes your self-respect so important, and I don't see how you can respect yourself if you must look in the hearts and minds of others for your happiness.”

At first I thought it was the most depressing thing I had ever read. Now I find it empowering. Most of us will never get the answers we are looking for. Instead of lamenting those lost answers, I'm going to focus on letting go of the questions.

Hugs to you, rosiepetal, you've been through a lot and come a long way.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

to me those last lines - those "words without actions" were like bait on a hook to a fish ~

only trying to keep me lured into the same dysfuncational thinking that worked for HIM -

I had chosen a different life, a healthier life, a saner life ~ those same "lines" whether he meant them or not - they just didn't work for me anymore - I had decided I wanted someone who's actions and words matched - even if it was only ME for the rest of my life.

I deserve that and so do each of you.

Just my experience, strength and hope - please feel free to take what you feel can help you and leave the rest

pink hugs,
Old 11-27-2012, 02:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Rosie,
I have been often haunted by the same thing... he said so much, like he loved me and couldn't imagine life without me. He also said that he would love me always and would do whatever it took to make things work.

I have no idea if he meant them or not, but I now consider him to be a mentally ill addict who cannot keep promises or tell the truth. So yeah, I guess I pretty much chalk it up to quacking...
Old 11-27-2012, 03:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I got similar sentiments. And ya know what? I think at the time he meant what he said. Unfortunately, he changed his mind. It happens. It's normal. Sometimes we decide we just don't want to be in a relationship anymore, and reasons why just don't matter.

Only you can let it stop haunting you, and that really is your choice.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Here are the number of words that come out of an alcoholic's mouth, that you can believe:

Old 11-27-2012, 07:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think they mean it to the extent they are capable of meaning it.

ShootingStar1
Old 11-27-2012, 09:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Why would he say that stuff & then go straight to another women though?
It must have been BS.
It just hurts.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
box of chocolates

ah had said alot of things but with the addict mind which even after sobreity needs to be recovered as well. he may have meant it or he may not have.....addicts dont know what they are saying thinking or doing or they do but not know why.
but then again no offense to some guys on here....but some guys are just **** and say sweet pretty nothings with no real meaning. met a few....dont care for them in the least they are sweet pretty nothings themselves lol
Old 11-27-2012, 10:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks lonelygirl, needed to hear that.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Iceberg Ahead!

Whatever the words, they were spoken only with the A's self-interest speaking and hearing.

They proved not to be actions or emotions of true love for another person.

They were just words, just for the A's I, Self & Me - the "ism" inside.

They were as empty as their last drink, hit or use was.

They made the A feel better at the time.

They gave the A the usual "easy out."
Old 11-28-2012, 12:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Addicts say stuff they don't mean all the time:

"I promise I will never get that wasted and abusive ever again"

And then they do the same thing a few weeks later.

I believe they get quite comfortable with believing they can say and do ANYTHING and be forgiven by their codies and enablers. So, when they say something we wanted to hear, we hang onto it - it's a little glimmer of hope. Until we get strong enough to say ENOUGH!

Mine can't quite believe that his cosy life is gone and he is 100% responsible for himself - like every other adult ought to be. He is really, really angry about it too. Tough titties for him

That's my experience.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have found that the Three Cs apply to both the disease of addiction and the behavior surrounding intimate relationship with a person living with addiction.

I did not cause it
I cannot control it
I cannot cure it.

I experienced that what my loved one said he did mean, at the time. Then sticking with it was challenging because he could not be present with his emotions for very long without numbing out...

In my experience the use of alcohol was one way of numbing out...another addictive like behavior was getting into relationships, as the beginning they can be similar to a high.

I struggled for months with both, but time did help and it did get better, as I got a chance to heal from both.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your responses, it's so nice to have the support of my SR friends. I realise I will never have the answers or know what was true or not.
It could be our entire relationship was false.
I haven't been sleeping well & the xabfs words were getting to me.
Today will be better.
I am getting my hair done, I have the rare occasion of not having children tonight so I get to catch up with a friend too. These are treats & positives.
For today I focus on myself.
PS: I have my codependent no more book to read at the hairdressers.
Thank you again.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
cfm

They all suffer from untreated alcoholism. Simple as that.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LifeRecovery View Post
I have found that the Three Cs apply to both the disease of addiction and the behavior surrounding intimate relationship with a person living with addiction.

I did not cause it
I cannot control it
I cannot cure it.

I experienced that what my loved one said he did mean, at the time. Then sticking with it was challenging because he could not be present with his emotions for very long without numbing out...
Thanks I needed too see that today
Old 11-29-2012, 06:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

They do the best they can, sometimes they reach in deep and find their soul for a moment or maybe two, and then they've lost touch again.

Sometimes they say what they want, what they wanted to be true...

But that doesn't mean they can live it.

Remember and cherish the best, remember the worst only to the extent it keeps you honest enough not to return, and open yourself to the rest of your life.

ShootingStar1
Old 11-29-2012, 10:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ShootingStar1 View Post
Remember and cherish the best, remember the worst only to the extent it keeps you honest enough not to return, and open yourself to the rest of your life.
Love this, thanks! Such great wisdom!
Old 11-30-2012, 05:29 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
cfm

If their walkin their stealin, if their talkin their lyin