Waiting for the other shoe to drop

Old 11-27-2012, 12:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Waiting for the other shoe to drop

I hope I'm wrong.

I'm just becoming worried and wanted to share in a safe place.

Background that I haven't shared before:
DH is an artist. He has a day job but it's not one he loves. For the past 3 years he's been working to make some money from his art by doing local shows. His work was always good, IMO but even I can see that he's improved a lot in the past few years. He also signed up for a college level art class this semester.

Sales at the last two shows were abysmal. They barely paid for the registration fees. He also backed himself into a corner by procrastinating in getting ready for the last show when he his last project due for class. Apparently, the day after the last show, he attempted to finish up his project and was running into some problems. He got frustrated and smashed the project along with a lot of his other work (I wasn't home). He has now decided to drop the class. He just called me to let me know that he left work early to go to class but then decided to just go home because the instructor was too busy to talk to him.

He had gotten into that tight situation due to his choice to sleep all day on one of the days he needed to work. He's also started to go to bed at 8:00 or 9:00...he doesn't get up until 7 for work so that's a lot of sleep. I see him sliding into depression. He has a history of it but, of course, won't take medication *rolleyes*

Can we be more short-sighted? Take an incomplete! So what, if you don't get a good grade? It's not for credit. What if someday you want to take another class? What if someday you have a work opportunity with someone who graduated in that program? Or teaches in that program? Or who knows somebody who knows somebody in that program? If you really want to work with your art don't you just suck it up and plow on? I spoke with him briefly about it and asked why he didn't just finish out the last 2 classes. He just says he's not interested.

I'm afraid of a relapse on the horizen.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change and the strength to keep my trap shut; live my own darned life; enjoy my job, my son, my friends, the theatre; and let him find his own way through this because these are not my choices to make.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

His life.His choices.But terribly difficult to just
watch it play out.Even if we know that is what
we must do.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It sounds as though you have two three year olds on your hands.
His moods are his business. You can't fix him.
Your fear of his relapse is well, your problem.

Is he contributing anything to the household or doing anything that is not self-absorbed?