Notices

Does the pain ever go away?

Old 11-27-2012, 10:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Does the pain ever go away?

I'm several days cold turkey off suboxone and Percocet and I understand that withdrawal is painful very uncomfortable process. But when I talk about pain I mean the pain that led you to seek something to dull/kill/numb the pain you had in the first place. Or is this sober recovery journey just about learning to live day to day in pain. I've gone through this before and a year later I'm back where I started. I know the root causes of my pain both physically and emotionally and I know the power of mind over matter. Hear the pain signal and then say "I heard ya" and move on, don't obsess or focus on the pain. I'm only 27 but since I was young have felt like a little old man. I live for my daughter and if it were not fr her I would have checked out a long time ago. What is the point of living day to day if the pain never goes away?
Old 11-27-2012, 10:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Beyond -

Congrats on getting off the subs and Percocet. I hope you're through the worst of withdrawals. I understand what you're saying about the different kind of pain and how tough it is at first to think about living sober.

I don't know how long you were sober before (and everyone's experience is a bit different), but after I stopped drinking it took a while to get excited about life again. What helped me more than anything was coming here and having the support of people who knew what I was going through. It's way too hard to do this on our own.

I also sought help for depression which I've had off and on since I was in my late teens. Sobriety isn't just about giving up the drink/drug - it's also about learning to live again. Be patient with yourself and keep posting/reading!
Old 11-27-2012, 11:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I completely understand what you are saying. My husband died 8 and a half years ago. Since, I have suffered from severe depression, PTSD, anxiety, and panic disorder. The drinking to make myself feel better became full blown alcoholism about 3 years ago and has spiraled further and further down. All of my attempts to get sober failed, and in retrospect they were half-hearted at best. I finally admitted to myself that I couldn't stop drinking - couldn't actively and truly get involved in a treatment program - because I couldn't imagine living my life without using alcohol to cope. If getting off the alcohol meant that I had to go back to just living with all that pain and depression and anxiety - I couldn't convince myself I wanted it.

I went to in-patient rehab recently, and that is one of the things that the counselors stressed to me. I had to find a way to deal with this pain, or I will never stay sober. People who tell you that time heals all wounds are full of ****. Time alone dulls the pain, but it doesn't heal anything. Healing the pain has to come from an active desire and involvement from you and probably some outside help as well. What every person needs is different. You said that you know what is causing that pain - now you need to figure out what will help and who can help. You don't have to live with that pain daily - you can be healed but you will have to seek it out.

For me, I have scheduled an appointment with a counselor who deals in substance abuse and also depression, anxiety, and PTSD. I have about 5 different books that are on my to read list, I have started journaling, and writing positive affirmations daily to help me get through the day. I am posting and reading here regularly, and I also belong to another online forum for young widows (I was 32 when he died). I will be attending a women's only meeting every Wednesday. I am new to recovery, but currently I am feeling better, just knowing that I have a plan in place that will help learn to deal with this and heal from it, without the alcohol I hope you find your path to healing as well!
Old 11-27-2012, 01:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Beyond View Post
I'm several days cold turkey off suboxone and Percocet and I understand that withdrawal is painful very uncomfortable process. But when I talk about pain I mean the pain that led you to seek something to dull/kill/numb the pain you had in the first place. Or is this sober recovery journey just about learning to live day to day in pain. I've gone through this before and a year later I'm back where I started. I know the root causes of my pain both physically and emotionally and I know the power of mind over matter. Hear the pain signal and then say "I heard ya" and move on, don't obsess or focus on the pain. I'm only 27 but since I was young have felt like a little old man. I live for my daughter and if it were not fr her I would have checked out a long time ago. What is the point of living day to day if the pain never goes away?
NA has the same 12 Steps as AA. It saved my life.

I found not only sobriety but sanity and serenity as well in the program.
It might just be the ticket for you as well....

All the best.

Bob R