Notices

It can happen to you.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It can happen to you.

This title is a story of what happened in my life.
December 1993, i got introduced to alcohol both beer and hard liquor. Every day, I would wake up, hung over so I drowned my pain through a six pack of beer, then started to drink whiskey and vodka all day till i passed out. This trend continued for 14 more years drinking a case of beer, a bottle of whiskey and vodka. How did i didn't end up in the hospitial from alcohol poisioning, i have no idea.
Winter time 2007, my throat had tightened up where it was hard for me to breathe i ended up gagging some blood but not much of it. It was 3:30 am and i woke up in a pool of blood coming from my mouth. I was scared but too stubborn to go to the hospitial. I went back to sleep and three hours later, my pillow was soaked in blood. Again i ignored the symptoms. By the next morning i was fine but still drinking, but eliminated the hard liquor. In a couple of months i had gained weight big time from 160-215 lbs which i had no idea why because i had always been very active. In time i did lose the weight but gained a hernia in 2010. I went to the doctor and they wanted to do a ct scan at the abdomen. What came next really had devastated me. Besides the hernia, i was diagnosted with cirrhosis of the liver and hep. C.
2 years have passed, the hernia repaired in 2011 but as of my health, it goes up and down. I do get sick more and realising i can't work like i used to, i had to file for disability.
The drinking had really improved but still i drink off and on as of this day.
My next step if i can't kick this deadly habit will to seek help.
Bottom line is dont think this will not happen to you because if you do what i have done, it will happen to you before you even know it.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry to hear your story IceWolf - but I'm glad you've joined us.
welcome

D
Old 11-26-2012, 05:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

((IceWolf)) - Welcome to SR! I do hope you do whatever it takes to find sobriety/recovery. You deserve it.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-26-2012, 05:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome IceWolf, I'm glad you realize what your next move should be. But it's not if you can quit because you can quit.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My next step if i can't kick this deadly habit will to seek help.

Don't wait, seek help now!

If you've a daily habit for 19 years quitting with out help is going to be very difficult. Three problems come to mind (and there are probably more).

First, there is the physical aspect. If you are drinking, suddenly stopping is going to be a shock to your system. You should seek medical help to do it safely. See a Dr. and explain what you are trying to do. Detox can be deadly.

Second, is the mental aspect (stinkin' thinkin'). For example, you might quit for a few weeks and feel on top of the world. This is a dangeous place to be and can leave you thinking that your drinking wasn't "that" bad and maybe you can moderate it now. Having face to face support (like AA) can really help with this.

Third, is the behavioral aspect. If you are like most drunks you've used alcohol to celebrate the good times, or to change the way you feel during bad times. Your anxiety level might be off the charts without alcohol in your system. You are going to need to learn new behaviors to handle life. Alcohol can't be the solution to every problem any more.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It was not easy reading your post because it really does highlight the health consequences of long term alcohol abuse. Even drinking less than you can result in liver disease - I know because I've worked in a liver transplant unit. But, for most of us, we are in denial....it always happens to some one else and will never happen to me. There but for the grace of God go all of us alcoholics!! I hope all goes well with your health and you have a full recovery.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Hope you make the right choice and stick with us ;-)
You can spin your life arround, hope you will
Old 11-26-2012, 05:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome IceWolf -

I'm sorry about your diagnosis, but want to thank you for sharing your story. I hope you can get the help you need to treat your condition and get sober.

Keep reading and posting - this is a great place for support. Glad you're here!
Old 11-26-2012, 09:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Icewolf,

Hope to see you around on SR. Also, I hope you are able to stop drinking so your body can continue to heal.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Good to have you

I hope you can continue your journey and put the drink down for good. So we can enjoy all of you.