Notices

3rd times a charm?

Old 11-26-2012, 04:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3rd times a charm?

Hello,
I have been on this site many times before, reading and trying to educate myself but this is my first post. My AH is in Recovery and is 30 days sober. This is his 3rd attempt in the last 2 years. I am doing the best I can, reading, attending alanon meetings whenever possible, and trying to be supportive of all the meetings he is attending. I guess most of my questions center around what is typically expected during this time. He typically goes to 2 meetings each night and on weekends, he will usually go to 2-3 per day as well. He had this pattern last 2 attempts as well and stopped telling me 'it just is too much'. I also have a brother who is a recovered Alcoholic (17 years) and he tells me it is time for him to start incorporating other healthy activities into his schedule such as working out, reading, anything other healthy habit as he is going to have to start learning to live differently and that he can't spend all his time in rooms. In the beginning, I certainly gave my opinion and yes, I have learned that it doesn't help one bit and I need to give him space to let recovery be his #1 priority. My question is: I know not everyone is the same but is it typical for the recovering alcoholic to 'check out' of life during this time? I literally feel like a single mom...running kids where they need to go in the evenings and trying to keep the house as well (I also work full time).
I am a very patient person but I would like to know what kind of support I can and should be offering during this time. Also, is irritability expected as well? I really never know what kind of mood my AH will be in and find myself walking on eggshells sometimes.
Thank you for listening,

Peacegirl