Notices

Day 52...

Old 11-26-2012, 01:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 52...

My decision to quit drinking was, at the outset, more of a personal challenge. My long time girlfriend, who left me on day 1 of this personal challenge after pointing out some alcohol induced behavioral issues, informed me that I was an alcoholic. I shrugged her off as being neurotic but decided to challenge and/or prove to myself that I didn't have a problem. As I sit here on day 52 of sobriety - I can now admit to myself that I had a problem...I have a problem. With the holiday parties set to be in full swing and my ex continuing to beat back my advances for reconciliation, I find it a challenge to maintain sobriety. Should I go have a beer? Can I stop at just one? Am I missing anything by not drinking? Collectively, no. Recognizing my problem for what it is was only half the battle. The other half of this battle is having the will power and conviction. Prayers.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to the family, Clarity. Congratulations on your hard-earned 52 days. We all understand how difficult it is to let go of it.

It's good that you recognize the holidays will be a challenging time to stay sober. My first Christmas I was very angry and frustrated with myself for feeling like I was missing out. I'd proven so many times that drinking led to unpredictable and dangerous things happening. It was simply no fun anymore, but still I clung to the idea that I needed it to celebrate. Glad I made it through by posting here. I hope you'll find it helpful, too. You're never alone.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

((Clarity)) - Welcome to SR and congratulations on 52 days! It took me a while to realized I really couldn't use just once, so I focused on not using the first time for quite a while (I'm a recovering addict).

I agree with ((Hevyn)) about the anger and posting here...did that, too.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-26-2012, 02:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Clarity

Right there with you,

I am on day 57 and the urges are still very strong to drink but have not done it, even though there is still some beer in the garage.

Wish I could be more help but I know what you are going through.

Flounder
Old 11-26-2012, 03:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

WOW....52 days! Well done!