Notices

Here come the Day One shakes

Old 11-25-2012, 11:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Here come the Day One shakes

The feeling in the abdomen, the shakes and sweats, but most of all the anxiety typically which precedes my first drink each day.

I just gotta stay busy and involved with something else, anything really....

Haha, drinking lotsa ice water today!

Would be so easy to put this off for one more day. Just have a drink and make this go away, but I have read enough here today to get me through this hour, day, couple of days of heck....
Old 11-25-2012, 11:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good luck to you! My day 1 was the worst, but I did manage to get through it, now it's just a mind game I'm battling!
Old 11-25-2012, 11:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
2 detoxes down, 0 to go

Have you gone past day 1 before? It gets worse on day 2 and 3 without treatment and it can be extremely dangerous. I had some pretty violent withdrawals and then I got into an outpatient detox facility that put me on librium for 5 days. I cannot tell you how much it helped.

Also, don't drink water only as that can cause serious problems as well if you drink too much. Mix in some Gatorade for electrolytes and some fruit juices. And take B vitamin supplements and a multivitamin. All of that will help your cells function better as they kick the alcohol out.

But seriously, talk to a doctor or a free clinic and let them monitor your symptoms and see if you need medical help. There are state-funded places that can help if you cannot afford treatment.

Good luck.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Your withdrawal symptoms tend to correspond to the amount, and the length of time, you've been drinking. I have been (had been) drinking for 25 years. I spread it out over the entire day and typically drank up to a 5th (750ml) of vodka every day. When I quit, I feel anxious, nervous, trembly, and a little nauseous for about a day. Basically, it feels like a hangover. After that, it's often like nothing ever happened. So, if you've gone through this before and know your pattern, it's up to you as to whether or not you need someone to help you through it.

The main thing to remember is stick it out. Don't give in and take that first drink, which only prolongs the inevitable.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome BetterSober -

Congratulations for making a decision to get sober! If you need help with withdrawal, don't hesitate to see a doctor. Those first couple days are tough, I know. I tried to look at it like I had the flu (don't know why, but it seemed to help!). I took it easy and spent that time reading on this forum. Others find that staying busy helps them..... whatever it takes, it's worth it.

Keep reminding yourself it WILL get better (and it will!). Glad you've joined us!
Old 11-25-2012, 11:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I have been thru those horrific things to many times to count. Like it is said and going to be .

Dont be afraid to run off to the ER for help. I have wound up in the ICU due to DT's.

Make it your last time for this ugly feeling.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

every detox is different--even for the same individual, please see your doctor
Old 11-25-2012, 12:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My worst thing was severe visual and auditory halluncinations. No idea what was real and what wasn't
Old 11-25-2012, 12:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good advice here.
welcome to SR bettersober

D
Old 11-25-2012, 02:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've made it four months before, but was not drinking nearly as much as the past year. Made it a week, couple months back, so I know what the next few days hold.

Challenge for me will be when I feel better and think "it's only one drink." I need to recall how lousy these few days are, and know I don't wanna get there again.

Thanks for all the kind, supportive words.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Bettersober. You have a really good attitude. Those early days are so difficult, but once it's done - you never have to go back there again. Glad you've made the decision to lead a better and healthier life.