Notices

My first post, but not my first attempt to quit drinking

Old 11-25-2012, 04:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My first post, but not my first attempt to quit drinking

I've been a member for just a short while and have read many interesting posts. This is my first post, but not my last. Today is my most recent attempt at not drinking. What better way to start the day than by posting, then planning my day to include some AA meetings. Figure I better take some proactive steps and arm myself with everything I can in order to fight this fight. If I don't stop drinking it is going to kill me. Doctor said so. Pancreatitis and fatty liver. Seems as if that would be enough to keep me from drinking, but apparently, NOT. Thanks to all of you for being here.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Kelli
This is first time to post also. I just signed up this morning but have been reading for a while. I went 40 days without drinking until yesterday. Now I have to start over again.
Good luck to ou
Old 11-25-2012, 04:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey, neway55!

Well, welcome! I've never posted anything, anywhere, so I'm new to it all. But, I'm glad to become part of the Sober Recovery Group. I've never made it to 40 days, so good for you to have those days under your belt. Yep, start over today and never give up. Good luck to you, and sorry to hear about the slip up yesterday. Sounds like you are making a serious effort. If I may ask, why the slip?
Old 11-25-2012, 04:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Welcome Kelli, and glad to hear you've decided to quit drinking. It sounds like you definitely have an extra incentive to do so. It's time to try to reverse some of the damage done to your body and live the rest of your life alcohol-free. This is Day 14 for me, and not my first quit either - not by a long shot - so you're right behind me.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks! I really do need to try and reverse the damage. I understand that the health issues that go hand in hand with alcoholism are also chronic, progressive, and fatal after you reach a certain point, there is no reversal available. So you are right, I have to reach out for an alcohol-free life if I am to have any quality life at all.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Kelli
I don't have a good answer for that. I knew that I was making a mistake but did it anyway.
I'm all out of excuses, I really wish I hadn't given in to the urge and stayed sober.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Originally Posted by Kelli1959 View Post
I have to reach out for an alcohol-free life if I am to have any quality life at all.
And you can! You are the only one who can do that for yourself. It's time to be on your side, to preserve and protect yourself instead of committing slow suicide. When we're drinking, that's exactly what we're doing. Our bodies weren't meant to be fed poison on a routine basis. What does poison do? It kills you!
Old 11-25-2012, 05:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Kelli. I am also dealing with liver disease caused by alcohol and diabetes and obesity. cannot believe it was easier for me to lose 60 pounds than it has been to stay sober. I had over 4 months once, when I was losing the weight, etc... But gradually slipped back into drinking after some great check ups. You would think that would have encouraged me to stay sober.

Here I am on day 3, after caving on Thanksgiving. It could have been day 11.

You do need to do this for your health. All of us do.

I hope you find the strength you need to succeed.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to you and Neway55...This is great sites for support...Glad to have you here..And good luck with your journeys.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome! Great support here.
I'm not a doctor, but if you don't drink then you are not adding to your health issues. Your body, given time and nutrition can start repairing some of the damage.
Nutrition and excersise is key. It's a complete lifestyle change that is required.

Best of luck
Old 11-25-2012, 06:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome!
I second Thepatman. While I am still in early stages of quitting (again) excercise and nutrition, and a HUGE lifestyle and attitude change has helped me along the way. And follow through. I was the Queen of no follow through. Great at making great plans, but they didnt stick...so Im making it stick this time
Old 11-25-2012, 06:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome!!
Old 11-25-2012, 06:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome
Old 11-25-2012, 09:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome.

Instead of making an attempt to stop drinking.

Why not make a commitment to yourself to stop drinking?

You have a lot of hard work ahead of yourself and a lot of changes to make.

I wish you well.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome. It my first time here but not first time 'quitting'

My doctor also diagnosed liver disease and even after liver biopsy couple years ago, I still kept drinking.

You can do this....
Old 11-25-2012, 09:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by neway55 View Post
Hi Kelli
This is first time to post also. I just signed up this morning but have been reading for a while. I went 40 days without drinking until yesterday. Now I have to start over again.
Good luck to ou
You still have those 40 days, and that is huge. I can't remember who posted it but they looked at it as 40-1 and that is a pretty darn good win column. Keep doing what you did those 40 days.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:54 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome Kelli,

Sounds like you have so e pretty string motivation to stay away for alcohol. I know it isn't easy, but you can do it. I agree with many of the above posts about adding exercise, it helps physically and mentally.

Keep reading and posting here, you will find lots of support.