I'm too young for this

Old 11-24-2012, 10:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm too young for this

I'm twenty years old and dealing with the aftermath of finding out my dad has a heroin addiction. We lost our home, my parents are split up, he lost his job, I even witnessed him going through withdrawal which is the most horrible sounding thing ever.
Anyway, I'd consider myself young, and don't know how to deal with this the 'right' way.
Any suggestions I'd really appreciate, thanks

ps my dad's been clean for 5 months today, but of course I'm still really worried about him relapsing. He spent a month in a recovery house, goes to NA meetings throughout the week, and speaks to a counselor a few times a week, but he still finds himself in trouble (he's punched a guy who drove by the NA meeting spot and called everyone 'low life druggies')
Old 11-24-2012, 11:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

((illiga)) - Welcome to SR, though sorry for what has brought you here. Yes, you are too young for this I hope you read around this forum, as there are several people here who have loved ones who are addicts.

There is no guarantee of him staying in recovery, but it is possible to go on with our lives without being gripped by the fear. It takes time, and has nothing to do with loving someone. We just can't make an A (addict and/or alcoholic) stay in recovery.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-25-2012, 05:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear you have been through this hunny but well done for getting yourself on here. Try to look on the positive...now you have seen close up the hell drug addiction puts people through. Learn from your Dads mistakes and never be tempted to male them mistakes yourself! It sounds like your Dad is on the right track...so many never get that far.
Big hugs.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Illiga , I can say I have been kinda were you are. My parents split up , my mom lost her job , and seeing her in withdrawal. Last year my mom went through an addiction to prescription drugs and she is now in recovery. I know what you mean when you say seeing someone go through withdrawal is horrible. I can say at least for me it was one of the worst things ever see someone I love be in that condition. My mom is one year sober now and even when she coughs I think she is going to be sick and scares me sometimes! I know my mom relapsed about 3 time , but as long as your Dad really wants to stay clean he will try again even if he does slip. And I thinks that's what it is, if the person really wants to get better they will , you can't make them. I would suggest going to counseling , at least for me that helped a lot. For me talking about it helps , and counseling can give you a lot of answer others can't. Or maybe try writing it out , I guess writing in here is kinda like that. I don't think there is a " right " way really. As long as you find something that works for you!
ps. I am only 15 so maybe that makes a difference , but I hope not !
Hugs , Piglet
Old 11-25-2012, 07:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

((illiga)) Have you been to any meeting for yourself? Al-anon or Nar-anon either of those or counseling or both can help you more than you would ever dream.