Turned XAH manipulation into a gift

Old 11-24-2012, 09:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Turned XAH manipulation into a gift

My 7 year old asked me why my addiction is OK but his dad's addiction is not. I have been a smoker for 20+ years. I guess XAH wanted to make himself feel better by telling his son that mom has an addiction too. I was honest with my son and told him yes mom has an addiction to nicotine but mom's addiction is not breaking the law. But, smoking is not healthy and I know how important it is for us to all be healthy so mom is going to quit smoking. In the past, XAH brought this up amongst us and I argued that smoking isn't illegal and is not a mind altering substance. However, this time, Instead of being angry at XAH for once again manipulating a situation to validate his behavior, I stepped back and made a decision that I should have made a long time ago. I am going to quit smoking. I told my son I'm so thankful that you brought this to my attention because this is something that mom needs to do to stay healthy. I know XAH was just trying to manipulate our young son; but, the reality is that smoking is an addiction and I need to quit. So, I thank my addict for bringing this to the surface. This is a gift that will give me the strength I need to quit. My boys have been through too much and I need to make the changes in my life to stay healthy. I bought my nicarette gum, joined a smoking cessation program at work and now i'm posting here so that I'm kept in check.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

oh oh! Just mentioned on another thread that I took up running and it was a HUGE deterrent to smoking. C2K (couch to 5K). Look it up. Great running program that anyone can handle cuz you start off so slow. Even my mom did it at 72.