Notices

Has anyone quit drinking without AA?

Old 11-24-2012, 07:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Has anyone quit drinking without AA?

I have read some of the posts here and am very encouraged! I have had a problem with wine for many years. I average 2-4 glasses 5 nts a week. In the past I have tried to only drink on the weekends, or only drink one glass, or only drink beer...then I always fall back into my old habits
I don't think AA is a very feasible option. I live out in the country and have my kids with me all the time. Is there AA online? Are their "sponsors" on here? I feel like I mainly need to learn what the 12 steps are and then find someone who's been down this road before. Right now I'm 2 days sober (but not overly excited bc I've gone this long before)
Thank you for any advice!
Old 11-24-2012, 07:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome there are many ways the moderators can give you resources Just as a rurul guy by nature thought I would say Hi
Old 11-24-2012, 07:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I feel your pain... I'm in a similar situation, with similar pattern in drinking. I live near a large city but it is out of the States and all the AA meetings here locally are in Spanish. Will tag along to see what responses you get.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Melanomagirl

There's lot of recovery methods being used on SR - AA's just one of them
I did not use AA for my recovery - just SR

Most recovery groups do have an online presence these days.
Here's some links to some of the main players:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach.

Sisterella, I'm not familiar with Panama but it seems there are English speaking meetings if thats what you're looking for?

Each Day a New Beginning Group of Alcoholics Anonymous
Alcoholics Anonymous Panama

D

Last edited by Dee74; 11-24-2012 at 08:16 PM. Reason: interrupted
Old 11-24-2012, 08:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

To answer your question, zillions of people have quit drinking without AA and gone on to lead happy, healthy and fulfilling lives. Some needed counselling, some a bit of medication, and many just applied their willpower or read a few self help books.

But there is a small bunch who, despite their best efforts at the above, are absolutely unable to control their drinking. They seem to have lost the power of choice where alcohol is concerned and seem to have placed themselves beyond human aid. These cases, often regarded as hopeless both by themselves and the people and professionals who have been trying to help them, are the ones that AA can help. It has been known that amongst this group, historically, a small percentage, perhaps 1 or 2% have experienced spontaneous recoveries or spititual experiences which have brought about their otherwise unaided recovery. It was an event such as this that formed part of the background to the founding of AA, and lead to the very successful spiritual approach that AA uses today - no other method comes close with this group.

But I emphasisze that AA was started by and intended for a very small group (proportionally speaking) of hopeless cases, and the many other problem drinkers will not need AA.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Lots of people as it turns out! Check out Rational Recovery and AVRT on the internet and on this site under Secular Recovery. Or Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Drinking. Instant Freedom.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Mgirl,
I can relate to what you are going through. Congratulations on realizing you have a problem. I was drinking two or three glasses of wine every night. Then last year it went up to a whole bottle of wine a night and I started drinking at three or four in the afternoon instead of at night. I imagine it would have turned into more if it had continued.

A week ago I decided to stop drinking. I know I was addicted, because I had strong cravings every day for a few days.

I had no desire to go to AA either. I have been to three meetings and I am still not sure that I like it. I kind of hate the meetings. But I kind of like them, if that makes sense. For me, it is a good solution. But this forum, in a way, is even more helpful than the AA meetings. I met someone here, and we private message a lot, and that really helps.

A forum like this is easier for me. In person is kind of scary.
Whatever works for you is the best. If you want to explore AA without a meeting, I have been reading the AA Big Book Online Big Book On Line

Linked with the permission of Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.

I hope you find something that works for you.
All the best,

JunebugApril

Last edited by Dee74; 11-25-2012 at 03:49 AM. Reason: copyright
Old 11-25-2012, 03:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome! Yes, i quit without AA. Im sober almost 18-19 months (i dont do the counting thing anymore it made me anxious).
There is a lot of goos support here. I do try to connect here and other forums every day. I also find gratitude everyday, i so appreciate being sober.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! I got sober three years ago with the help of my counselor and this site. Anything is possible if you want it badly enough.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Gottalife is right on the ball. If you set your mind to it, nothing can stop you.

Human choice, spirit and resolve cannot be stopped, even by addiction.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Former wino here fixin to hit a year sober January 14. I quit without AA but have gone to several meetings and met wonderful, helpful people. My job predicates my ability to attend meetings and since it pays the bills....it wins. SR has been my rock. I joined the January 2012 class and we have become a family. I may not see them face to face, but I respect and appreciate and love them. We support each other and are walking into the new year sober. It can be done - sending my best to you and welcome to SR - very glad you are here!
Old 11-25-2012, 05:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hello. I quit almost two years ago without AA. I am happy being sober. Alcohol is such a cage I'm thrilled that I opened the door and escaped. You can do this . . . without AA as well. And don't let anyone scare you into thinking otherwise.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm kind of confused here. I don't think I've ever seen ridding ones life of alcohol taken to the form of competition as I have here. It's like we are selling cars or something. For myself, getting sober was serious business...Life and death serious. Nobody scared me into AA. It was recommended to me by my rehab...Mainly because of my history of not being able to stop on my own. My hat's off to people who can stop on their own....If I could have....I would have. But at least I didn't have people trying to talk me out of it. I thank God for that. ...My suggestion to you would be this. Try it on your own...Try AVRT...Try reading Allen Carr's book...Try Smart recovery....Try anything you can...If none of these or anything else works....As a sober member of AA I can tell you.... .It does...And it won't be going anywhere anytime soon.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I hope your original question was answered.... yes, many, many people get sober without the AA method, I took a lot of information, learning it here, there is a wealth of support and connecting with others who are feeling the same towards alcohol is the biggest help.

(Attraction, not Promotion...and i don't feel the AA method works for everyone, even as a last resort, we are all different).

I have a very busy life and career, family, pets, social life, i address my drinking as a problem, previous addicition, it's not my whole life.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

There is already some great advice on here, but thought I would say hi and welcome, and share my experience with you! I personally do not go to AA, I find it to be a little overbearing and while it works for some, it just doesn't fit into my life. I stay sober with SR for support, through a program at my church called Celebrate Recovery, and by finding other things to do with my time (and money). Self help books work too! Just know that you have the choice to stop drinking, You've already made it! Now you get to explore the many options you have to find support. Good luck to you!
Old 11-25-2012, 06:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Greetings!
Lately I have discovered many support systems (including this site) that do not include AA to achieve recovery. AA was not a good fit for me though it has helped many many people. I think everyone has to find their own path and the support systems and recovery methods that work well and "fit" with them the best. AVRT has helped me a lot. I was happy to find out that it certainly wasnt AA or no way...though a support group of some kind is invaluable I think.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:01 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

MG,
Welcome. Early on in recovery I did not count anything out. I did some research into a lot of things. There are many ways to get and stay sober. I know AA has helped many people. Personally I used this site and the AVRT crash course. I am over 6 months sober now with no plan of ever drinking again.

Stay close and ask a lot of questions. This site can help you save your life.
Good luck
Old 11-25-2012, 07:05 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi

I use Women for Sobriety and SR as well as fortnightly counselling in my recovery. I found that AA didn't fit for me after 6 months of attending meetings 4 times a week it was making me more anxious, but that's just me. So in answer to your question yes imo you can quit drinking and stay stopped without AA. My advice find what works for you.

I wish you all the best.

Ally
x
Old 11-25-2012, 07:16 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

SR and AVRT for me, too. All online. Closing in on two years without a drink, and this new life of mine is feeling as comfortable as an old pair of boots. Welcome to SR!
Old 11-25-2012, 08:55 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I've quit without AA.

I see a psychologist, a medical Doctor, read about addiction, use SR as a tool, have my wife as support and have not ruled AA out should I ever feel I need more.

Even though I'm not in AA, quitting drinking was just the first thing I needed to do to get my life back on track and repair all the damage I caused.