Notices

resentments for dummies?

Old 11-23-2012, 11:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

resentments for dummies?

Hi guys,

Those following the 12 steps - can you explain resentments to me? I understand the meaning, but for some reason, I'm having difficulty cultivating my resentments toward people. To be honest, I have alot of resentments against myself for all the wrongs I committed while drinking actively. Can I put me in step 4?

Also - I feel like I can go down a pretty long list of resentments - or areas in my life I once or still do hold a grudge. Some are common and even mundane and "accepted" by me (i.e. parents divorce), some are kinda juvenile (young love) and some are big, but to me, have been thought about forever that no major breakthrough seems to come through.

AM I going about this the right way? How intensive did you get? I just truly think I"m the most mad at me - am I supposed to be filtering by what I think got me to this place? People who may have helped mold me into the alcoholic I became? Though, I think I would be alcoholic even if I had a perfect life...

Does any of this make sense? I'm feeling a little lost on this one...
Old 11-23-2012, 11:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't think it's unusual to address resentments against yourself. Addiction is a pretty conflicted place, especially once you know you are destroying yourself and still don't quit.

Sounds like you have a pretty good list started. It could be people, but also institutions, circumstances, you will come across more as you go.
Anything you are holding on to is detrimental.
I love the saying, holding on to resentments is like drinking poison in the hope the other guy dies.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

work with a sponsor on this, it will be so much more.....
Old 11-24-2012, 12:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Yeah I recommend you work with a sponsor on this too. You can put yourself in your resentments list. I like the quote 'An expectation is a premeditated resentment'.

Natom.