Daughter of alcoholic in denial in need of help

Old 11-23-2012, 04:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Daughter of alcoholic in denial in need of help

Hi... My dad's drinking has been a problem for about 7 years now at least, but I'm usually away from my parents' house so have managed to 'forget' as of late. But now that I'm back home, it's getting annoying, and my dad just had a massive argument with me and my mum for no real reason, and tried to remind me of when I'd tried to commit suicide (times I'd rather forget) and criticised me for my lack of employment recently, even though I'm signed off work after an operation and had been trying hard to find a job before. I cried quite a lot, and I really hate this whole thing, because I know he won't remember a thing about it tomorrow morning and it'll all just happen again. What can I do? I can't move out until I'm fit to work, and I'm just really fed up of all this.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Even if you could move out tomorrow, the fact will still remain that you have been affected by someone else's alcoholism. The affects can be lasting.

There is a support group designed for people like you and I. It is Al Anon. It is a support group based on the same 12 steps as AA, but the program is tailored to meet the needs of Friends and Family members of alcoholics.

If you live in a large community, you may be able to find ACOA meetings. ACOA is Adult Children of Alcoholics.

You are welcome to spend as much time as needed reading and posting here. We are open 24/7 and have members from all across the globe.

My recommendation is to not engage with an active drinker. I would remove myself from the room of my alcoholic when he had a beer in his hand. I learned it was best not to be a visible target for whatever drunken behavior was about to happen.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, squirrel. I can totally relate to being fed up. Pelican's ideas above do work; I hope you try a few Al-Anon meetings.

It really sucks when the A hits below the belt. And I mean - hitting every sore spot they know you have. It's common alcoholic behavior, and it won't change until and unless her decides to get sober. The only way I could handle it (and not for long) was to remove myself from situations where it was getting volatile. Do you and your Mom have a safe place to go to get away from those kinds of arguments?
Old 11-24-2012, 11:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pelican View Post
Even if you could move out tomorrow, the fact will still remain that you have been affected by someone else's alcoholism. The affects can be lasting.

There is a support group designed for people like you and I. It is Al Anon. It is a support group based on the same 12 steps as AA, but the program is tailored to meet the needs of Friends and Family members of alcoholics.

If you live in a large community, you may be able to find ACOA meetings. ACOA is Adult Children of Alcoholics.

You are welcome to spend as much time as needed reading and posting here. We are open 24/7 and have members from all across the globe.

My recommendation is to not engage with an active drinker. I would remove myself from the room of my alcoholic when he had a beer in his hand. I learned it was best not to be a visible target for whatever drunken behavior was about to happen.
Thanks for the recommendation! Unfortunately I don't live in a large community at the moment and I don't think there's a group near me, but I can do the 'not interacting with him when he's drinking' thing... He'll be (very) drunk tonight so I'll have a good chance to test it out.
He apologised to me for his behaviour yesterday, which was a good sign, I think, but I really hope he doesn't see this topic because he wouldn't want me calling him an alcoholic. I've drunk rather a lot in the past, too, but generally I'm just happy, silly and sleepy when I'm drunk and don't start arguments. I don't drink so much now, though.

Originally Posted by Tuffgirl View Post
Welcome, squirrel. I can totally relate to being fed up. Pelican's ideas above do work; I hope you try a few Al-Anon meetings.

It really sucks when the A hits below the belt. And I mean - hitting every sore spot they know you have. It's common alcoholic behavior, and it won't change until and unless her decides to get sober. The only way I could handle it (and not for long) was to remove myself from situations where it was getting volatile. Do you and your Mom have a safe place to go to get away from those kinds of arguments?
Thanks for the welcome. I think we could probably go to my Gran's house if things got really out of hand, but that'd be a last resort, I think, because there wouldn't be enough sleeping room for both of us. I honestly can't see him becoming sober at all... I mean, it wouldn't be so bad if the volume of alcohol wasn't so much. But what can you do?