Notices

I am back..... again.... and scared

Old 11-23-2012, 11:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am back..... again.... and scared

I have posted on here twice before only to not follow through with my intentions. I am hoping that this third time is the charm.

I am sick of this lifestyle. I have been taking both hydrocodone and oxycodone. Started on 10-20mg of hydro a day for almost 2 years. Then it escalated to about 70mg hydro a day for a couple of months. Then over the last two months I have added 30-60mg of oxy a day. This can't go on. This is a life destroyer. I have NOT lost my job or wife or kid or bank account. I DON'T WANT to lose any of these things. I want to tackle this before I do lose all these things.

HOWEVER, WD is scary. I have not dealt with it yet, but I do know I will have to deal with it at some point in order to get to where I want to be.

Some people suggest Kratom. However, to me that is just sub'ing in one opiate for another.

I still have some of each substance left, so I can taper to a degree. Is there value in tapering? Or is CT the only way to go? Can I even CT off of these amounts without any real health risks?

I am leaving the country for vacation in exactly four weeks. I don't want this evil addiction wrapped around my neck when I go.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi again MK

If you're worried about withdrawal it makes sense to me to consult a Dr. - preferably one who knows about these drugs.

Only a Dr can really assess and answer your tapering questions with any professional authority.

D
Old 11-23-2012, 12:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Mkintexas, withdrawals are the pits, but they do go away. I suffered terribly, but I'm now 2 years sober, 1 year 2 months no crack, and 6 months no cigs. I gets better, you can do it.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i had to get professional help. in my case i lost wife, house and bank acct. this stuff was way stronger than i was so i had to do a 30 treatment program. thats not to say you cant do it without that but it was the only way for me. i tried on my own a number of times only to fall harder and faster. see what options you have in your region and pick what you think is best. i lost so much before i woke up! i pray that you get the help you need because it sounds like your done! good luck and god bless!!!!! if you need anything just ask! people at this site will always help. your pal in recovery wes!!
Old 11-23-2012, 12:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome back ((MK))!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-23-2012, 12:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope that you talk to your dr and do believe that you can get through this.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think this time it will be for real. I believe i have sufficiently scared myself in to it. Today started off with my regular use pattern. By noon I was feeling nauseated. Since then i have worshiped the alter several times and confessed my use to a family member. I had planned on trying to quit quietly but realized I can't. I am still nauseated and don't know why. My use was not high enough to worry about acetamenophen toxicity so I am not thinking that. Maybe it is just coincidence. Either way. I have not taken anything in about 9 hours now. Not very long. But you have to start somewhere.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ugg

Woke up at three. Was obviously antsy and restless. So broke down and snapped a Percocet in half. That helped me. Makes me realize how much I have been dancing with the devil though.

Is there anyone that has successfully tapered off opiates or is CT the method of choice?
Old 11-24-2012, 08:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi. In my experience tapering off opiates does not work. I have been on and off them since 1998 and tried to get clean first in 2001 when in was 23. I have done cold turkey mostly but have tried tapering a few times initially. I think tapering causes you more pain and drags the wd out for a longer time. It is worth it to get off them the first 5 to 7 days will be crappy but it gets soo much better! I have been off all opiates since the beginning of September and off everything else for 15 days now. Check out AA or NA even if you think they are not for you go to get support and suggestions from people who have been in your place or thru a lot worse! I didn't like 12 step groups at first but now I love them! Stay strong!!
Old 11-24-2012, 08:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Angel78 View Post
Hi. In my experience tapering off opiates does not work. I have been on and off them since 1998 and tried to get clean first in 2001 when in was 23. I have done cold turkey mostly but have tried tapering a few times initially. I think tapering causes you more pain and drags the wd out for a longer time. It is worth it to get off them the first 5 to 7 days will be crappy but it gets soo much better! I have been off all opiates since the beginning of September and off everything else for 15 days now. Check out AA or NA even if you think they are not for you go to get support and suggestions from people who have been in your place or thru a lot worse! I didn't like 12 step groups at first but now I love them! Stay strong!!
So in your opinion you still feel misery during taper? Does this extended misery help the actual WD when you quit be less severe?
Old 11-24-2012, 12:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi. In my opinion and experience you are dragging it out and yes you will be miserable. For me when I tried to taper I felt withdrawls after I got down each time. I have tapered from hydocodone and from methadone. I just said forget this!! You will feel crappy for up to 7 days. 48 to 72 hours after quiting are the hardest at least to me. Maybe you should take the week off of work. If you can get to meetings and share what you are going through! Stay hydrated and rest you will feel bad and probably not be able to sleep but quiting is worth it. Don't drink or take other drugs to make the withdrawls better. And remind yourself that you don't want to be a slave to a pill or anything to make you feel normal or to be able to get thru the day! At first I lost nothing and I thought I would be ok. Then I started to lose LOTS of things! Jobs money cars people friends family Time!! I started at 20 quit at 34. I did check into rehabs and stayed clean for some time durring those years but it was on and off. Opiates make you feel happy and content while the damn drug destroys the life you knew and turns you into someone else!
Old 11-24-2012, 12:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ohhh also posting here helped me stay in check durring withdrawls and now. I'm still new here but I'm meeting some cool people and great new friends! Stay with it and let me know if you have any other questions!! Also I'm not trying to give you medical advice!! Just my experience and some suggestions based from that!
Old 11-24-2012, 01:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

please speak with a doctor
Old 11-24-2012, 01:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like I said before only a Dr can really assess and answer your tapering questions with any professional authority, Mark.

It's one of our rules here that people neither ask or give medical advice - that's in your best interests.

Noone here is a Dr and noone else here knows your clinical history or current medical situation.

See a Dr.
D
Old 11-24-2012, 08:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm sorry! I didn't mean to give any advice. I was just trying to give my expierence and I think I got a little too detailed. Again I'm sorry.