Notices

Nearly 6 months; feeling unsafe within myself :(

Old 11-22-2012, 08:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Nearly 6 months; feeling unsafe within myself :(

Hi everyone,

I feel like I've really hit a wall in the last few days; Wednesday morning I woke up with some pretty horrible anxiety that seemed quite out of the blue-can't remember the last time that happened. I have a bit of an issue with finances that has come to light in the last week and It's not helping. I've done what I can from my end, now I just have to wait on centrelink (similar to social security in the States, I believe).

I've been feeling squirrely, short-tempered and discontented-going to AA meetings, speaking with my sponsor and other members and praying have done very little. Projecting like nobody's business, too

I volunteer for a community service organisation and one of the service users bought a cask of wine in with him today. Nipped outside, had a cigarette and said a few prayers in my head. It didn't help very much at all.

It could be hormones, could be the stress around money, could be "early sobriety-itis"; whatever it is, I feel less grounded than ever-I kind of want to cry and feel as though I'm going to be physically sick

Any advice, words of wisdom, support or shared experiences would be fantastic

Xx
Old 11-22-2012, 08:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Hi Quinne, Good to meet you, also from Melbourne but in NA. Some days are just tough, sounds like your doing the right things. I just keep reminding myself that life gets tough at times and I just need to get to meets, talk to sponsor and other friends. Know that I am looked after. Keep that Hope, Faith and Trust in sight and in mind.

Kevin
Old 11-22-2012, 08:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey Quinne

I have several years sobriety but having Centrelink on my case would make me hella anxious too.

We're sober, not superhuman - as long as we don't drink or use we can always stay ahead of the storm

Stay connected to your support network - and really work it - especially when you don't to.

Hope it all gets sorted quickly
D
Old 11-22-2012, 08:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

A DR or ER? I've done both and it all helped I've even done 911
Old 11-28-2012, 03:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Hi Quinne,

Sorry to hear the last bit of time has been rough and feeling disconnected for you. Six months is a real achievement, and still a learning time for us to get things sorted out. At six months for me, I was just able to rent a small room in a boarding house. I didn't have much in possessions, but I did have a lock on my sobriety.

I had that sense of sureness we all want when we try to maintain being clean and sober. It's something we have on the inside even when the outside circumstances could be better, we nonetheless carry on, almost getting stronger as the difficulties pile up.

I don't know all your details Quinne. I do sense in you a person who honestly wants to do right with being sober, and I want to tell you how very important a person you really are for helping yourself a better life sober. Very much so, this is best not overlooked or forgotten. Sobriety is a real turning point in our lives. Be sure you let this be well known to yourself. You're doing well, and I know so, because you clearly ask for help and support and encouragement. Well done, Quinne.

We sometimes forget not how bad it was for us out there, but we forget just how well we are doing on the inside because we can sometimes momentarily be overwhelmed by anxieties, mental stress and fatigue, doubts, past failures, fears of success and new failures, and just the general feeling of unfairness.

I've read some of your posts, and you're on the right track doing the right stuff, imo. Give yourself as much a kindness as you can as you sort through the ongoing challenges. Your sense of being disconnected is not a warning you are failing, but more an acknowledgement that you've had better days in your early sobriety.

Please understand feeling sad and bad does not necessarily mean you're losing or stumbling about. We are human after all, and it's such a feeling to be sober that when we feel bad we sometimes become overly concerned that once again we are failing somehow.

Unless you have real evidence of screwing yourself over in sobriety, meaning you know for sure you're lying to yourself about whatever, then it's best to just let go and let sobriety carry you through these present tough times.

My sobriety has saved my own ass again and again, and it did so often enough by me just getting out of my own way, and letting things have a chance to be sorted. There is always a better day coming, is my experience.

I hope for the best for you Quinne.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

A wise friend once told me "Once you start lying to yourself, and believing it, is when the real trouble begins..."

I agree that as long as you are being honest with yourself and firm in your commitment for a sober life the rest will sort out over time. A drunken mess of a person has little to no chance of successfully navigating the ups and downs of life. Trust me, I've tried it both ways and hands down sober beats drunk any day
Old 11-28-2012, 05:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Already some awsome posts here. Hang on tight to your accomplishement of 6 months, brace yourself and don't let go of it.

Blessings