Notices

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone

Old 11-22-2012, 05:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. I have been sober since Sept 2010, so this is my third sober thanksgiving. I traditionally got pretty loaded on this day for many, many years. I have been reading these posts for years, but only joined recently. It was hard for me to talk about my life as a heavy drinker/drunk/alcoholic...whatever you call it. Reading these posts of others have helped me, even if our experiences were different, our struggles were the same. I will never forget the first few days of hitting bottom, crying in the street, ducking into alleys to hide my shame, as I was about to lose everything. Talking to some friends in AA helped me through it, though I only attended a few meetings myself. More important to me was really understanding that however hard this was, other people were trying to beat the same problems I was, sometimes failing, but still trying. Having a more clear headed view of the world since I was a kid, and therefore sober of course, I understand now more than ever in my life that no matter what temporary fun, or temporary refuge from your problems alcohol or drugs offer, nothing beats just being alive and the absence of the chaos that comes from conducting yourself in an altered state. The first step to finding inner peace is to remove the chaos out of your life of drugs and alcohol. It is something that you have to struggle to maintain, and protect on a daily basis. So, my thanks to everyone who has ever shared their stories here, and a Happy Thanksgiving Day.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for that post nonet4life
Have a good day

D