Notices

Staying connected to my HP

Old 11-21-2012, 09:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Staying connected to my HP

I am in a good place mentally right now.
I feel cam and peaceful and my over active brain is quiet.
I know this is an ideal opportunity for me to start praying and meditating and to open up the channels between me and my HP.
Has anyone any tips on meditation techniques that would help?
I don't want to lose this and go back to over thinking and hypothesising which is a waste of my energy.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Steps 10 and 11 in the big book help me.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I do simple breath meditation daily. Aware of breathing trying to avoid the chattering monkey mind.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

The Big Book tells us that we are free to explore the many ways of meditation out there. I have several meditation books, of which I use as guides. There are many schools of thought (no pun intended) in meditation, but the one that works best for you is the one that feels right for you. There is no proper way, but the common ingredients are breath awareness, posture and focus (i.e. mantra). I myself am still exploring, but I keep it simple right now - quiet surrounding, breath awareness, sitting, clearing the mind (great for us alkies) and experiencing the now. You may not be able to start off for long, but as you do it daily, you will be able to do it longer and longer.

Anyway, there is lots of info out there - check it out. Meditation is a vital part of my program.

And since we're in the Step 6 wing of this mansion, what was your experience with step 6 having just done your 5th?
Old 11-22-2012, 04:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MycoolFitz View Post
I do simple breath meditation daily. Aware of breathing trying to avoid the chattering monkey mind.
This is what i do too . I think it is a good and simple place to begin.
Im happy to hear you are happy.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Paul-my experience of step 6?

I have a HP, I pray, I am only just learning to listen I guess. I need to have a greater connection that stays with me through good times and bad I think at the moment as my life is so busy I can so easily become self absorbed and this could be a block to me moving through this.
I know I am ready to have God remove my defects of character. Entirely ready? I guess it's the word 'entirely' that I'm thinking about. If I'm truthful I tend to ease up on the praying when things are going well, and I want to really feel connected ALL the time.
Not sure that even makes sense. I feel as close to having a spiritual experience as I've ever done. I don't want to lose it.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Entirely ready? I guess it's the word 'entirely' that I'm thinking about.
I wouldn't let that world twist you up, even though it is vital.

The most common fear is that if we have all our character defects removed, what would be left of us? What would I look like if all my shortcomings were removed? They talk about being the "hole in the donut" in the 12&12. It doesn't happen overnight, and the thing is, what have no say in what gets removed. What we might think is a character defect could be an actual strength, and vice-versa. We are just ready. In step 5 we have seen what patterns and behaviours in our life that have been blocking us from the Sunlight of the Spirit, and we are now just ready to have Him remove them. It's just a matter of letting go. I can say that the more I let go, the freer I become, and knowing that as my defects (slowly) start to be removed, something else is filling that space up. Love. Patience. Tolerance. The spiritual principles that we speak of...which are basically the opposite of our very defects! We don't become mindless zombies. We grow along spiritual lines.

It might sound a bit airy fairy, but I have seen it in myself and in others. There is a shift.

As for that spiritual experience - of course it feels great! Continuing on the steps will ensure more of that good stuff coming your way.

Like sugarbear mentioned, following the instructions in the BB in steps 10-11 give precise directions on prayer and meditation, amongst other things.

So happy to hear that you're moving on...it's an amazing journey, and it sounds like you're already experiencing the rewards
Old 11-22-2012, 10:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Paul, I'm not worrying about changing or what I would look like when my defects of character are removed. I welcome this process. I don't expect it to happen immediately, and I trust that it will be positive.
I guess this means I am already entirely ready...?
Old 11-22-2012, 10:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Bang on! You certainly sound like you have the willingness and openness for this step! And that's the important thing.

The 12&12 has some great words regarding this step:

If we ask, God will certainly forgive our derelictions. But in no case does He render us white as snow and keep us that way without our cooperation. That is something we are supposed to be willing to work toward ourselves. He asks only that we try as best we know how to make progress in the building of character.

So Step Sex--"Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character"--is A.A.'s way of stating the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job. This does not mean that we expect all our character defects to be lifted out of us as the drive to drink was. A few of them may be, but with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement. The key words "entirely ready" underline the fact that we want to aim at the very best we know or can learn.

How many of us have this degree of readiness? In an absolute sense practically nobody has it. The best we can do, with all the honesty that we can summon, is to try to have it. Even then the best of us will discover to our dismay that there is always a sticking point, a point at which we say, "No, I can't give this up yet." And we shall often tread on even more dangerous ground when we cry, "This I will never give up!" Such is the power of our instincts to overreach themselves. No matter how far we have progressed, desires will always be found which oppose the grace of God.
Steps 6 and 7 are sometimes called the "forgotten" steps, and may not capture the imagination as the other steps do (on initial review), I have found them critical to my recovery. The BB gives them a paragraph each, but boy are they powerful and vital steps!

Good luck!
Old 11-22-2012, 12:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thankyou. I could never have got this far without SR, and the support of you all.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My problem is trying to quiet the mind I nkeep thinking am I thinking?
Old 11-23-2012, 05:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

LOL! I do that too sometimes Fitz.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

i think one of the biggest ass kickin times is when i want to meditate and i cant shut my brain down. here i am doin a lil prayin, then shuttin up and listening, then im off everywhere in my head!
i work hard at keepin it simple. meditation can happen when i am not even realizing it. watching a football game last sunday, i had noticed that it was almost halftime and i didnt even know what had happened in the game. i know i was at peace and my thoughts were pretty serene. that, to me, is meditation.

as the BB says,im not always inspired .but as time has passed, by thinking has gotten more ont he plane if inspiration. i think that has come with practice.