Notices

Six month slump?

Old 11-21-2012, 06:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Six month slump?

I just passed the six month mark on November 15 and I am feeling exhausted. Part of it is physical because I have been really pushing myself running wise but part of it feels psychological, like I am just so drained from dealing with life on its own terms for so long. Did anyone else here experience this at six months? I feel like I'm a little foggy again and like I want to sleep in the afternoons which I can't and don't want to....But I am grateful to be sober anyway, hope the slump passes soon
Old 11-21-2012, 06:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi effortjoy
Congrats on 6 months - thats great

I think I was still sorting stuff out from 20 years of drinking at 6 months.
I can't remember a slump - it was all still fairly hard slogging for me.

Are you running yourself ragged besides the actual running as well?
that might be having an impact on you psychologically as well

D
Old 11-21-2012, 06:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

im at six months as well and feel like i'm in a fog, i hope it passes soon for both of us, stay positive.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on six months, that is awesome!! Maybe your body needs a little time out to recharge.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on 6 months, that's fantastic!

I was using running as an outlet and ended up utterly exhausted after a few months, I've slowed it down a little bit now, I stopped running and hopped on the cross trainer or the bike for a couple weeks and I'm feeling a lot better physically and mentally!
Old 11-21-2012, 10:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I think i have quite an all or nothing personality, this might have been a contributing factor to my drinking it was never moderate, lots in my life has'nt been moderate .

Turns out the moderate level of alcohol for me is none .. just wondering if after being six months out after the begining of the recovery from a potentially fatal thing if you could decribe what you're doing as moderate in all areas of your life ?

I'm 14 months or so into recovering and i feel there are still ballances out of kilter in several areas of my life. Relationships , food , sex , hobbies and work are all things i'm trying to get into healthy proportion in my life .

It can take some effort to even realize it sometimes as quite often my responce is to do what i've always done , I know that kind of "old" thinking can lead me to problems.

Bestwishes, M
Old 11-21-2012, 10:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am only newly sober but alcohol is only the first of the obsessive behaviors.....it is actually everything....just have to tackle the worse first and work down the list.....wonder what is left in life sometimes but I know its not healthy now so....

Went 4 months last time and hit the gym, training way to hard....started on protein, etc etc wouldn't eat certain foods....body looked great but now I realize it was just another obsession....lost the plot, started drinking, blah blah blah....still I think if I cant control obsessive behavior training is probably the best outlet..
Old 11-22-2012, 05:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Six months is an accomplishment I'm at five months and have recently felt similar. I'm enjoying reading books I found on Anna's sticky. Started "Moments of Clarity" by Christopher Kennedy Lawford last night. It is helping me to read about other's recovery stories.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your fabulous achievement! Way to go! And as far as exhaustion, fatigue, fog - yep! I just consider it another sign of healing. Think of when you've had the flu and how icky you felt. The alkie flu is leaving your body and brain and recovering. It takes time but is so worth staying the course! Keep up the amazing work!!
Old 11-22-2012, 09:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Nothing wrong with a little siesta in the afternoon. 40 winks is good for you. Take a break. It might be worth revisiting all of the bad times, compared to what you have achieved. Congrats on 6 months.