Notices

The most difficult Thanksgiving, to date.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

The most difficult Thanksgiving, to date.

Tommorrow will be trying. My grandmother is in the last stages of small cell lung cancer and is dying at a rapid pace. Hospice is doing all that they can.My mother was diagnosed with congestive heart failure this week as well. My This will be my first Thanksgiving sober in 7 years. I do not have any desire to drink, but the pressure of taking care of my grandmother all day, every day and the fact I know she is just holding on until after tommorrow is killing me. It keeps me ever commited to my promise to her : that I will never drink again. I know I owe it to my family as well as myself to be here in the present clear minded than to be a walking, stumbling zombie with no control over my words. I know this would be much harder on me if I was still drinking. I know I have to be strong, but sometimes, I just feel like everything is becoming unbearable. Thanks for letting me vent, and to everyone, I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Dom
Old 11-21-2012, 05:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really sorry for your situation Dom - all my prayers, best wishes and support go with you in this difficult time.

I am thrilled to hear you're staying sober tho - that really is the best thing you could do for yourself right now

D
Old 11-21-2012, 05:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Dom,
I commend you for your loving care of your grandmother...it can be draining to be a loved one's care giver. Stay strong and sober.....you won't regret it.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Dom,

I'm really sorry for your situation with your mother and grandmother. I hope you can take a few minutes to relax during the holiday.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hang in there Dominica!
You are incredible.
Get some rest where you can. Even if it is 30 minutes eyes closed. Eat, even if you don't feel like it.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I admire your courage. Blessings to you and your grandmother. Painful it is and will be, but doing it sober is just brave of you.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Dom, I relate to your situation. I drank my way through my beloved grandmother's extended passing (3 months home hospice) and I'm ashamed of it to this day. But I know she knew I would find my way - she was always a rock of support through my whole life, and I know she is looking down saying "that's my girl..." now that I've chosen a sober life. It took me a while after she passed but I did.

I'm proud of your courage and commitment to see her through this sober - take it from me, you don't want to deal with the mental fallout internally if you give in. It ain't fun. And you will be present in your own life as well as the final days of hers. That is a precious gift.

My thoughts are with you and I know you can do this. Sending strength and prayers to you!!
Old 11-21-2012, 06:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

As it's been said. You are doing incredible things for others. It must take an extremely large amount of strength and courage to face what you are going through.

I will pray for you and your family through the holidays. God bless.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Dom,

I am so sorry for that you are dealing with, and so inspired by your incredible strength. Your mom and grandmother will both be so proud of you tomorrow.

Thinking about you.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Its a good thing you are doing. I wish I could say it will get easier. But just know you have a whole slew of people out here supporting you and sending our thoughts and prayers. God Bless.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It takes a very special person to do what you are doing. Just remember that. Will keep your grandmother and your mom in my prayers
Old 11-21-2012, 08:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Thanks for your post, Dom, it is good to hear from you again. I pray that you and your family find peace in this difficult time. God Bless.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have been there Dom, my gma was everything to me! Good thoughts your way and this will be my first sober thanksgiving in 7+ years as well!!
Old 11-22-2012, 08:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

Thank you all so much for the support. Y'all are great.