Notices

How much do you tell your counsellor?

Old 11-21-2012, 03:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How much do you tell your counsellor?

I've never seen a counsellor about drinking before. I have an appt. next week to meet one. It wasn't court ordered, but it is the same counsellor I will be seeing after I do my DWI course. I guess she determines if I'm better and not a risk to go back behind the wheel.

So, besides AA, I thought I'd make an appointment with her myself - I figure I'll take any help I can get (although I'm kind of wishing I didn't make the appointment now that I seem to be doing OK - ugh).

Anyway - my question for anyone who's comfortable sharing: Do you "tell all" .. 100% honest detail .. leave nothing out? ... I assume that is the best way to get any good out of counselling .. but then I don't want her to think my problem is too over the top ... I guess I'm afraid my words won't come out right and my story, honest as it is, will ultimately somehow sound twisted.

Are you totally honest and include everything in your sessions?
Old 11-21-2012, 03:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Phoenix.

I'm not understanding, I guess..
You're going to counseling for you alcohol problem, but you're not sure if you should lie by omission so your counselor doesn't think your problem is that bad?
Old 11-21-2012, 03:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I tell everything I am asked or need to say otherwise like going to a medical doctor but not telling him/her what is ailing you.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's pretty simple...They can only help you based on what you tell them.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
"Why So Serious?"

If you aren't 100% honest then you're simply wasting their time and yours.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If I were you I would be honest. Even if you are doing better right now I think it is always valuable to continue with support and one-on-one counselling sessions with a good counsellor. If you arent honest, it is a waste of time. I do understand you want to get back driving again (even more motivation to keep doing well) but the recovery and honesty has to come first I think.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think I understand what you're saying Mulch. You're seeing a councellor for your DWI which is the same councellor you'll be seeing to help you sort out your alcoholism.

If this is what you're saying, can't you see a different councellor so the two can be seperated? To me hiring a councillor and then withholding information is a waste of time and money.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I see a psychologist, so my disclosures to him are kept confidential.

I tell the truth and hide nothing.

If I lied, what would be the point of paying to see him?
Old 11-21-2012, 03:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well my ex DI therapist tells me tell the truth or get out don't waste my time I don]t need your money that bad soldier. I always fess up
Old 11-21-2012, 03:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

I agree with Sapling
Old 11-21-2012, 04:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks. I don't know how to talk about myself very well. I can write up a storm easily enough, but when it comes to speaking, especially about myself, I always either freeze up or come out sounding stupid.

Yes, the same counsellor who will determine if I am OK to drive. I am seeing her because there is no cost (I'm in Canada; it's Addiction Treat. & Prev., funded by Cap. Health) .. Anyone can make an appt., plus I am already registered in their system because I'm registered for the course, which doesn't start until Feb. I don't have a private health plan - otherwise I'd see someone else.

I imagine if I leave things out, she'll see through me at some point anyway, and if she determines I am not ready to drive, then that's just the way it is.

The kicker is .. I had well over two years sober until this happened. No cravings. No problem. Then poof. Ugh.

Thanks for listening, and thanks for the replies!
Old 11-21-2012, 04:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You are more than welcome, Mulch
Old 11-21-2012, 04:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Mulch, I understand your concern about speaking to your counsellor, but I'm sure that being honest and as open as you can is the best thing to do.

I was very interested in your final comment, "I had well over two years sober until this happened. No cravings. No problem. Then poof." I think it would be very, very important to find out what happened that led to this relapse. Most likely, it wasn't just out of the blue, but maybe a result of something going on in your life? Anyways, getting to the bottom of that could be very helpful.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I tell my counselor everything because I'm comfortable with him. Otherwise I wouldn't be getting full value for my money. It's precisely that which you're hesitant to do divulge that you need to work on. On the other hand, he is not involved in deciding if I can drive.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Yeah, I have seen many therapists and counselors throughout my drinking and using years, none of which I was 100% honest with...I just couldn't walk in an admit what I had really been doing to another person. Probably because I knew they would say that the drugs and alcohol were probably the cause of the depression and anxiety I was experiencing and would need to stop before everything got better.

Needless to say, looking back, it was probably a big waste of everyone's time and of my money.

Do yourself a favor and be as honest as possible. They are only there to help. Like recovery, you only get what you put into it.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have done the same thing, Furnaceman, for the same reasons. Not anymore though.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I have been honest with mine, and she has been really helpful. I look forward to seeing her, and being able to day whatever is in my mind.