Notices

Tips on grocery store shopping

Old 11-21-2012, 04:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I can do anything!!!

Tips on grocery store shopping

I have learned that I become very weak at the grocery store. A lot of times it happens even before I go in. On my ride there i start thinking about purchasing and once I get that in my head, it is hard to get it out. So I am looking for tips on avoiding the liquor section. I don't think that I can avoid the grocery store. What do I do on the ride there when the thoughts start? Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
Old 11-21-2012, 05:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Before you go shopping, eat copious amounts of vegetables, drink lots of water and basically fill your stomach up.

When you're shopping, have a big bottle of water with you.

Perhaps if your stomach is full it will help?

I remember when I was drinking, if I was really, really full...I wouldn't feel like drinking until the fullness past.

Most importantly, don't buy alcohol and choose not to browse at the liquor section.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I had a similar worry, but the reality was, I had absolutely no reason to go down that aisle in the store anymore.

So I don't.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Diha.

Make a list of groceries to buy before you go shopping. Keep your head down to this list during shopping. Set a timer on your cell phone for 20 minutes to do the shopping, to be sure you are not wondering around the store. Someone here once wrote that imagined sign of scull and bones under the liquor department).

Best wishes)
Old 11-21-2012, 05:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello,
I live in Canada and here alcohol is not sold anywhere but the LCBO, Beer store, bars, and occasionally a small wine store in some grocery stores. I thought that was tough...but, I visited Florida once in 2011 and was shocked to see how much booze was available everywhere! I dont know how Id deal with that....must be hard for sure.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

One good thing in my state, except for a few stores, they do not well alcohol in grocery stores. I happen to live in a town that allows it in one store, but it is not my regular one. I have to go out of my way to go there. It was my fallback if my husband was out of town, and I was with the baby. Never bring my kids to a liquor store... somehow, that was one of my limits, lol.

But, no grocery stores sell alcohol, generally speaking. That would be very hard. I know I get a twinge of desire just driving by package stores.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I try to slow everything in my head right down to a crawl - become very aware of my thinks as I am thinking them. On the way to the store, as I get out of the car, walk across the lot, I listen carefully to that noise going on, to what that self-talk is saying as it happens.

I bring those thoughts right into the front of my attention instead of trying to ignore them or step on them. The thought of picking up then has to stand there in the light of my attention, all by itself, bare neggid and stupid looking. It even feels embarrassed.

I picture myself doing what I need to do next and then the next thing after that. And then I do them, and the urge is gone again, and I am still sober. I am stronger than these thoughts because these thoughts are not me.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think that is great input, Freshstart.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I look at alcohol and I think about how I will feel and look with a hangover. The image is pretty gross.

Last edited by escapist; 11-21-2012 at 06:19 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-21-2012, 06:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Windancer View Post
I think that is great input, Freshstart.
I second that!
Old 11-21-2012, 06:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Remember HALTS, Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired, Sad. Try not to do the grocery store if any of these are present. It is not always possible but it is easier to say, "I am beat and that is why I want to drink." "Instead of Oh Boy that booze looks so good."

I still do not go down the alcohol isle unless I have too. A friend in AA said just picture those pretty bottles with a skull and crossbones on the label. Kind of weird but it works for me.

Not sure if this make sense but my brain still wants to take me back to hell from time to time
Old 11-21-2012, 06:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Are there any groceries stores that don't sell alcohol in them? When I lived in New jersey i never knew grocery stores did then I moved to the south (NC) and grocery stores, gas stations, cvs etc have it. -shakes head-

If you can't find stores by you that don't sell it, someone once told me that if you get a craving close your eyes and take some long slow breathes concentrating on the air going in and out of your lungs and the craving will pass. It has helped me many times.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I would keep it very simple, make a list of what you need......not a huge list. Go when you are least triggered - for me that would be in the morning. Perhaps a small reward on your list....magazine, candy etc.....something to look forward to after you leave the store
Old 11-21-2012, 06:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you will be surprised to find that it gets easier each time you go.

There are lots of good ideas here!
Old 11-21-2012, 07:14 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

in my state NJ , you cannot buy booze in grocery stores, they are seperate stores...but often next door in the strip mall....i switched stores for a while to avoid the issue.

it does get easier.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:25 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
I can do anything!!!

I live in Wisconsin so it is everywhere. Houses were handing out beers to parents on Halloween, we have a bl
Old 11-21-2012, 07:32 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
I can do anything!!!

I live in Wisconsin so it is everywhere. Houses were handing out beers to parents on Halloween, we have a Bloody Mary bar at the farmers market, it is sold at every grocery store and gas station, and almost all events are just an excuse to drink. Wisconsin loves alcohol.
There are a lot of good suggestions on here. Thank you all. Keep them coming
Old 11-21-2012, 07:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

diha I LOVE your avatar with a passion!

I've seen a few fellow AAs grocery shopping together. I'm not sure if it's for this reason, but reading your thread this struck me as something you could try to see if it helped. Having another like-minded person there to talk with seems helpful.

Wishing you all the best diha!
Old 11-21-2012, 11:03 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
I can do anything!!!

Originally Posted by foodie1 View Post
diha I LOVE your avatar with a passion!
Thanks foodie1. I am a dietitian that loves bacon I have different views from the typical RD. I am not in AA at the moment. Maybe I can start using peapod. I love grocery shopping though. Usually if I go after the gym I avoid the liquor section. That is not always going to happen though. I just have to keep on trying different things.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:36 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I've found store hard as well. What made sense to me is trying as much as possible to have a full stomach or try going with a friend whom is aware you are not drinking or won't be going to the liquor isle.