Notices

Hi, new here.....

Old 11-21-2012, 02:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Recovering alcoholic

Smile Hi, new here.....

Hi, I am Jason Marchelak and I am nearly 24, I have been sober since the 7th June 2012 and have been drinking since I was 18. I started drinking heavily, mainly binges after i witnessed my mothers body on the 12/12/08 after she had an epileptic seizure. My mother was an alcoholic most of her life and she detoxed and developed epilepsy as a result. I am an all or nothing person when I drink, that's why I have stopped as I have had multiple detox's in the past which lead to heavy withdrawal symptoms leading to fits.... I lost everything I had and was street homeless for 1 year and alcohol seemed to be the only thing I cared about and was a complete mess. However I stopped and never looked back, I lapsed once 2 weeks ago, and I have learnt I just cannot have one drink, another is needed to keep the high and then I blackout and have no idea what I did the night before. My health has improved and I don't look back at the good times because frankly most of my drinking days and weeks were a blur, a mess and deeply frightnening. My last alcoholic seizure happened in May this year, I don't suffer from epilepsy, however. I hope I can bring my experience and knowledge to you guys as it's a long journey and a deeply dark place to be when you are drinking! Godbless you all xxxxxxx
Old 11-21-2012, 02:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks mate....I am also an all or nothing drinker....regret my actions afterwards and then do it all next week...now 42...have decided that I need to stop...has been 5 days and have had to attend work functions that would normally end up messy and have stuck to water....as you know it gets harder when you feel good but been determined so far..

I admire you because my life hasn't been hard like you and I doubt that I could come back from what you have been through....certainly not at your age...be strong.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Recovering alcoholic

Smile

Originally Posted by Tiredman View Post
Thanks mate....I am also an all or nothing drinker....regret my actions afterwards and then do it all next week...now 42...have decided that I need to stop...has been 5 days and have had to attend work functions that would normally end up messy and have stuck to water....as you know it gets harder when you feel good but been determined so far..

I admire you because my life hasn't been hard like you and I doubt that I could come back from what you have been through....certainly not at your age...be strong.
Still, it's everyday that counts! To be honest, I am a strong person when it comes to life in general as I have been through alot since I was a kid being in care because of my mothers drinking bouts.... Home being a mess, having to steal money from mum to get food, basically I and my brother who is also an alcoholic, yet in denial, had the survival instinct which kicked in so early I have grown up to be a strong person. The first 2 weeks of stopping are hard, but the results from quitting and getting your life back on track are really overwhelmingly worth it! They say detoxing is the easy part, living with addiction is the hardest because as you must well know you have to live with this compulsion for the rest of your life and me, so young. Never give up trying mate it really is worth it, you will see!
Old 11-21-2012, 03:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! You'll find lots of support here.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Jason. Welcome to SR!

Thanks for sharing your story with us.

Best wishes to you on sobriety journey)

Keep posting and take care.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Jason, welcome to SR, many more 24...we are all here 4 u
Old 11-21-2012, 03:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Recovering alcoholic

Originally Posted by kwe118 View Post
Jason, welcome to SR, many more 24...we are all here 4 u
Thank you!
Old 11-21-2012, 03:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thanks Jason....I know what you mean I have obsessive compulsions over everything...even good things like exercise get out of control....but mainly alcohol is the one that gets me into blackout territory and then trouble....I am usually ok until I start something then it gets out of control....sad thing is there is no cure except abstinence...has taken a long time to figure that out.

U must be strong to get this far but as you know it gets easier but never ends....

I admire your strength and maturity....wish I had it at your age...
Old 11-21-2012, 07:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome, Jason. Thank you for sharing your story. I am sorry for your troubled childhood and loss of your mother. That's a tough road for a young man to have been on. Congratulations on your recovery process! I am sending good thoughts and warm wishes your way
Old 11-21-2012, 07:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Welcome, I now know I can not have the first drink. It is the engine that kills you not the caboose