Notices

Intervention marathon last night

Old 11-20-2012, 06:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Intervention marathon last night

Anyone watch? I am sorry if you hate that show and think it is wrong, close this now, quick!

I think Megan's story was amazing and I am so glad she is sober. Her parents were total tools though.

Kaylene's story was sad. I don't know much about methadone, but it seems like you would need more than that to stay off of those drugs.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

We have nothing like that in the UK Elizabeth, but I have watched them online and I think they are helpful.

Have you watched the documentary 'rain in my heart' on you tube yet?

Have a watch and let me know what you think.
Quite an eye opener....x
Old 11-20-2012, 07:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
"Why So Serious?"

Intervention is hit or miss for me. Sometimes I'm like, "That's great! They stayed sober! Good for that person." Other times it just triggers me and I wanna drink so badly. And I really, really, really shouldn't ever compare my struggles to others but sometimes I think to myself, "Really? That's what they call a drinking problem? Give me a break."
Old 11-20-2012, 07:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I used to LOVE watching Intervention. I think I have seen almost every episode/season thanks to Netflix. But I haven't been able to watch it since getting sober. Though, I haven't really tried. I just used to always get drunk or high while watching, thinking how different I was than them -- but I was just in denial haha

It's a great show, though. I recently found Allison (inhalants addict) on Twitter. It's nice to see people have such long recovery after seeing their stories.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
"Why So Serious?"

Originally Posted by krispy87 View Post
I used to LOVE watching Intervention. I think I have seen almost every episode/season thanks to Netflix. But I haven't been able to watch it since getting sober. Though, I haven't really tried. I just used to always get drunk or high while watching, thinking how different I was than them -- but I was just in denial haha

It's a great show, though. I recently found Allison (inhalants addict) on Twitter. It's nice to see people have such long recovery after seeing their stories.
Allison was probably the most intense and insane episode I've ever seen. That was unreal.

She's a cutie! I mean, now that she's sober. She was a wreck when she was inhaling that stuff.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Did Allison become a doctor?
How long has she been in recovery now?
Old 11-20-2012, 08:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sasha4 View Post
Did Allison become a doctor?
How long has she been in recovery now?
She is the operations supervisor at a new treatment center in southern California. I'm not sure how long she has been sober for, but she seems to be doing really wonderful!
Old 11-20-2012, 08:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
"Why So Serious?"

This is the most recent thing I could find: Intervention - Follow Up: Allison on MSN Video
Old 11-20-2012, 08:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sasha4 View Post
We have nothing like that in the UK Elizabeth, but I have watched them online and I think they are helpful.

Have you watched the documentary 'rain in my heart' on you tube yet?

Have a watch and let me know what you think.
Quite an eye opener....x
I have seen Rain in My Heart! It was absolutely heartbreaking.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

sorry i missed that...love that show. wish someone would offer that to me
Old 11-20-2012, 09:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
"Why So Serious?"

Originally Posted by inlalaland View Post
sorry i missed that...love that show. wish someone would offer that to me
I've thought the same thing. My family would sometimes say, "Why don't you get into one of those places??" Sure, you have the $40,000 it costs?
Old 11-20-2012, 10:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Actually there is a 'free' rehab all over the country. It is quite good and for those that
'stick it out' the full 6 to 9 months the recovery rate is quite high.

What is this place you ask. It is the Salvation Army. Yes, it is free. Yes it is a very
'intense' program that gives one all the tools they need AND helps them to figure out
how to use those tools in recovery.

To the original poster, yes I watched the 'marathon' last night. It was pretty much
newer episodes. Even after all this time, I can still get triggered on the ones that
show them using a needle. As a side note, I am a diabetic now, have been diagnosed
for about 12 years now. When I first had to start using insulin it was really hard for
me using the needles, to inject the insulin, rofl (yes it is funny to me now, in a bizarre
way, because when I had to start using insulin I was over 23 years sober and clean.
I was very grateful when they came out with the 'pens' and I use them exclusively
these days. And I am not as triggered today.

I have also had sponsees that could not watch certain episodes because of how they
would be triggered, whether it was an alcoholic that just drank 24/7 or with some, like
me it was an addict that was injecting and the needles would trigger them.

Please keep in mind that the only episodes that are shown are the ones that do agree
to go to rehab. They have many more that say NO and do not go. Also, it is a 'one
way air plane ticket'. so if the person leaves rehab early, they are on their own to get
back to their home town. How do I know? My cousins daughter was one of the ones
who left rehab early and literally begged rides all the way back to Utah. Then 6 months
later, she got clean on her own when she found out she was pregnant and is coming up
on two years the beginning of next month.

Overall though I do believe the show is a very informative one, and I do try and watch it
whenever I can. I learn an awful lot from the 'facilitators' each time they show the
'pre intervention'.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 11-20-2012, 10:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Kaylene's story was sad. I don't know much about methadone, but it seems like you would need more than that to stay off of those drugs.
My mother was a herion addict for 15 years. And has been on methadone for 5. Even though she would love to be free of that. It has kept her clean for this long. Everyone is different but she used AA and a little NA she preferred AA. And she is thinking of coming back around to it with me for some fellowship.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
"Why So Serious?"

Laurie, I have a Salvation Army a little over a mile from my home. I'm not sure they offer the program you're suggesting though. This Salvation Army is notorious for being a place to score drugs. They have meetings there every day at 7AM and noon time and I was told by other AA meetings to NEVER go there.

I'm sure this isn't the case with all Salvation Armys but this one is in a bad part of town and I've been advised to stay away at all costs.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

All Salvation Army's do not have a 'recovery rehab program' on site. However, they do make the arrangements for a person to meet with an 'intake counselor' and will even cover the cost of transportation to the rehab facility.

We do not have a rehab facility here, however, there is one in El Paso about 60 miles away, and our Salvation Army will cover the transportation themselves or pay for it to get the person to the El Paso Facility.

And yes, our Salvation Army is not in a very good area, and yes there are homeless outside of it selling and buying and sitting on the ground drinking out of brown paper bags. Usually waiting for the 'next meal' to be served. However, their 'second hand
store' is in a different area of town.

That is the point of Salvation Army to be where they are most needed. Well, where are they most needed? In the areas of a City or Town, where the really desperate hang out or live (by live I mean on the streets).

Different states have 1, 2, or 3 or more SA rehabs. CA I believe has 3, one in L.A., one in San Francisco and one in Sacremento. Wisconsin has 2, one in Milwaukee and one in Madison. Florida has 3, all on the east coast, Miami, West Palm Beach and Jacksonville. I believe in the Panhandle or the Northern Part of the state they send them to either Alabama or Georgia facilities. And so on by state.

So even though your town does not have a rehab facility your SA can help and will help a person to get into a rehab facility, probably the one in Boston.

Hope that helps JJay.

Love and hugs,
Old 11-20-2012, 02:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

How sad that folks think that show is "entertainment". It isn't: it's exploitation of vulnerable people for commercial purposes.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by onlythetruth View Post
How sad that folks think that show is "entertainment". It isn't: it's exploitation of vulnerable people for commercial purposes.
To each their own.

I love the program and appreciate how it exposes addiction for what it really is and that even in the worst cases, people can choose to get well.

Addiction is often talked about in hushed tones. It's refreshing a program like Intervention exposes addiction to the light of day for all to see.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:32 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

The program "Intervention" lies to people to get them to appear, and have their personal lives revealed on national television for entertainment purposes.

It would not matter if this was the most wonderful, entertaining program in the world.

It is based on a lie. And it is wrong.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:34 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by onlythetruth View Post
The program "Intervention" lies to people to get them to appear, and have their personal lives revealed on national television for entertainment purposes.

It would not matter if this was the most wonderful, entertaining program in the world.

It is based on a lie. And it is wrong.
...the show tells the addicts that they're going to be in a documentary about addiction.

The addict agrees to participate.

Where's the lie?
Old 11-20-2012, 08:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

It is a TV show? Never heard of it but I put my TV in storage a couple of years ago.