Notices

My Life so far

Old 11-19-2012, 10:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Life so far

Howdy all, figure i'd drop something here. Here's alittle about me, ive been in the Navy for 8 years and yes, developed alcoholism in the run. it would be only when we weren't deployed and we were all binge drinkers for a few weeks before heading out for a few months... kinda makin up for lost time was how we justified it. everything was all fine and dandy untill we all left for a shore command, which means no deployments, home, work, nothing in between. this transaction was good and bad in a few ways. first, you have more free time, bad is that we all drank on our free time, which was now everyday. then to make the story darker, my best friend killed himself and that lead to more drinking. my tolerance went from one bottle to 2 of rum a day. it took about 3 years now to go from a 12 pack to 2 bottles in just 8hrs. there would be flairs when i drank like that daily for a month then stop for a few days then start back up.

another thing that developed from heavy drinking was bipolarism. i went to a psychologist and they diagnosed me and eventually tossed me into a mental hospital for a few weeks to observe me while on meds to get me off the addiction and go in a straight line instead of severe mania and psychosis. i never felt cleaner in my life those 2 weeks. when i got out... took a few days but went back to the drink. i blame stress and anxiety but its just how i dealt with it besides something healthy like running or working out.. reading n'such

only until recently i found a very serious g/f who was also an alcoholic but stopped a few years back. she knows exactly what im going through and knows why my face is red most the time even not drinking. after an emotional chat with her i decided to stop forever bc i like here to much and dont want this thing to kill me

after doing some internet research, i think i have a blood circulation issue since my knuckles turn blue/black from to much blood going there and some redness on my face that gets worse with random heat flashes. after doing some blood work they said everything is ok but my red blood cell count as "alittle high" but nothing to be concerned about. so now im taking some cortizone for the face plus alot of Vitamins C, D Omega 3,6,9, and Garlic for the heart and to better my blood flow and to hopefully get the redness gone.

... im doing it for love... dont get much of that in this life, worth the change, just wish i started earlier...

Thanks for those who listened!
Old 11-19-2012, 10:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome to SR! this is really a great place I pray for strength for you in your journey!
Old 11-19-2012, 10:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks

Thank you very much, it'll be rough but its right
Old 11-19-2012, 10:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR and for sure its right
Old 11-19-2012, 10:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

As Memory Serves...

Ive noticed throughout the years that my short term memory is really bad, and i say it was the drinking, but my long term is fantastic (3.90 about 3/4 for associates)... so i put something down and forget it a few seconds later... is Ginkgo biloba a good starting place fr that?
Old 11-19-2012, 10:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR

D