Notices

Hello all

Old 11-19-2012, 06:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello all

Im new to this forum thing so bare with me. I'm a recovering opiate addicted. Lost my job bc of my illness. 2 yrs sober & trying to get my license back. I got caught at work diverting opiates. Hoping to connect with any other nurses out there that have been in my shoes before.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome

I'm not a nurse but I know several people here who are

you might like to also look in at our substance abuse forum as well:
Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

D
Old 11-19-2012, 07:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome RN -
Way to go on 2 years sober!
Glad you're joining us. I know you'll hear from some of our members who found themselves in the same predicament you did. I wish you all the best in getting your license back and hope you'll find this forum as helpful as I have.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR
Old 11-19-2012, 07:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

((RN)) - Welcome to SR! I was an RN, had the same issues and gave up my license (it lapsed). Unfortunately, I sunk further into addiction before choosing recovery.

There are several medical professionals here, though most I've only found that out over time. Regardless, SR has been a HUGE part of my recovery, and I've learned a lot from people no matter what their DOC (drug of choice) was or what they did.

Congratulations on 2 years and good luck getting your license back.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-20-2012, 02:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

welcome to SR! I am an RN...but my problem was alcohol, still have my license, I know others in your shoes trying to get their license back. Hang in there and congrats on 2 years!
Old 11-20-2012, 03:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR.

Retired Nurse and midwife.

Drank myself out of employment,so took "early retirement."

Wishing you well.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had a roommate who was a maternity nurse. She dealt with a mother's most intense experience - giving birth, and that's what she did all day long. She ended up getting hooked on Vicodin. I ran into her at the hospital and even though it had only been a couple of years since I lived with her, it was unclear if she recognized me or even knew her own name.

My sister switched her position from a machinist to an RNA after getting certified. She blew up at a patient and got fired. Then she got another job as an RNA and got a DUI, but she didn't lose her job. She is on antabuse now, because that's the only way she can't drink. I talked to her recently and she sounded good. She said that she thinks this is her calling. Working in an almost exclusively male environment as a machinist was not fulfilling, but now she's enjoying helping Alzheimer's patients as an RNA.

She lost a lot in the fire that swept Colorado and now she's riding her bicycle to work in the winter in CO due to the DUI, but I was glad that she sounded good when I talked to her recently.

I was institutionalized as a young adult and a fellow inmate there was a Doctor. He couldn't maintain his practice because he kept pilfering his own drugs and faltering on the job.

I can't speak from experience on opiates. I tried heroin once, but I didn't do enough to feel anything and I never pursued it. I had a kidney stone and was given morphine. It kicked ass, but I never pursued that either. I had an eye operation and was given a prescription for Vicodin for the pain. Once the pain was gone I tried the Vicodin for recreational purposes and I didn't like it. I guess I'm just not drawn to things that put me to sleep.

Whatever the case, I wish you the best in your journey. Sorry I can't be of any more help, but perhaps my stories will be of some benefit.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello, I'm also a nurse. Alcohol is my butt kicker. I've just recently moved to a new state and my problem is getting worse. Started in the Marine Corps and worsened during my nursing career. I worked night shift and upon getting home in the mornings, the adrenaline rush was still rampant so I'd drink to help me fall asleep. Five years later I'm on the day shift and still popping bottles open when I wake up. Trying to be finished by the time everyone gets home from school and work. I had a friend opiate dependent who was also a nurse. The Pyxis was her demise. She had to attend meetings to show to the board she was making an effort. She has a medication restriction on her license but she did get them back. Call the board and see what you need to do.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank u all for your support..I know it's going to be a rough road but hopefully I'll get through it.