I Can't Believe He Did This!!!

Old 11-19-2012, 04:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I Can't Believe He Did This!!!

He called for help today on his own!

He just came off an 8 day binge that ended Saturday night. On Sunday, he had a visitor that came to see him. This visitor is his childhood lifelong friend with 35 years of sobriety.

I texted his friend on Saturday night when I got home from my bear hunt. I came home to an awful man whom I've never seen in my life. I asked his friend to please help Jimmy and he said he'd be over after church. Jimmy and his friend have known each other since grade school. They went to the Army together and they partied together. As I said, he sobered up, is a Minister and a counselor. The meeting felt productive. Jim stared sobering up Sunday morning and while I slept today, he never left the house. He stayed the course and continued to sober up and make that call. He told me he spoke to a woman for a half hour about what has been happening. He said she gave him a number to call for a guy close to home to call. He tried calling today and no one answered so he said he'll call tomorrow.

I'm not going to pretend that this is it but it's a start. His friend told me to call him anytime day or night and he will be there for me, him and us. I told my husband today, I am so proud of you for making that call. I know how hard it was for him because he has always been adament about not seeking help.

I pray that today is the day that we can start a new beginning.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm impressed too, and I don't even know the guy!
Old 11-19-2012, 04:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's Awsome! He's lucky to have someone like you. Hope he makes it and enjoys life sober!
Old 11-19-2012, 04:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It was so nice to wake up and see my husband. I have noticed that he slept on the couch last night wheile I was at work. I asked why and he said, he doesn't like the bed when I'm not home so he's staying out of it. When I left for work tonight, he continued on the couch with his pillows and blanket. He said, I'm going to stay here until I go to work. We have always shared our bed but the last week I left to get away on Thursday and Friday was my hunt. Being in the bed alone is a sore spot for him and he's changing it. If the couch helps him heal when I'm not there, I'm all for it.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

He told his friend he's afraid I'll leave and he told Jimmy, She's right there and I believe she's going to stick by you. He said, she doesn't trust me. He told Jimmy, when she sees you change, she will change and you will see her change. It was like you could see a light bulb go off over his head. He looked at me and told me, I am so very sorry. (I know, I know... I've heard it before)

He has also changed his outlook on me going to ALANON. He wants me to go. He said, you need to know how to cope. I told him tonight before I left that I was going to be here on this site and he said, If you find anything good that will help me, let me know!
Old 11-19-2012, 06:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Makes me very, very happy for you!!! I hope he means it. Remember always keep those expectations low even now.

Hugs to you.....
Old 11-19-2012, 06:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

YES redatlanta! In my happiness for him, I am being cautiously optomistic. This is all so new right now but it's a step in the right direction.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
box of chocolates

yay. happy to hear it.
its not in stone yet but sure is a great start
Old 11-19-2012, 07:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That sounds like a really different kind of talking from your husband. What great signs!

You both have my hopes and prayers.

ShootingStar1
Old 11-19-2012, 08:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

He has also asked if he can play Words With Friends with me. I tried to get him to do it before and he always said no! Tonight, he asked if we could play! We have also been talking about selling the bike. The bike is a trigger for him and he told his friend that it is a trigger. It's a trigger he'd never admit to and here he is telling his friend it makes him want to ride buzzed.

We love the bike but I won't ride with him when he's drinking. I would rather see it go and have him work on being sober. I told him, sell it and when you have some time under your belt, we can go get a cruiser like we always talked about.

We're taking baby steps.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Is he attending AA or a rehab? I didnt see that in your post
Old 11-19-2012, 08:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

He contacted CEEP which is in my first post. CEEP is what his job offers. He can use CEEP for anything from alcohol or drug problems, right down to marriage counseling or grief counseling.

They point him in the right direction and give him options. He was given a number to a counselor which he said he is calling tomorrow because no one in the office answered today.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm sorry... I didn't mention CEEP. Just that he called a woman and spoke to her. That woman was from CEEP.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

He has done rehab and AA before. He said he doesn't like the fact that he has to listen to other people's problems in AA. He said he's rather have one on one help. If he can find that, which I know he can, I will be happy with knowing he is trying. AA isn't the end all be all.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:19 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My AH has asked if we could go to a bookstore today. He has never asked to go to a book store to find something that interest him. He is also playing me a game while I'm here browsing SR.