Notices

The time has finally come

Old 11-19-2012, 02:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The time has finally come

Hi everybody my names Bradley and i have finally come to the point where i either stop drinking or become a lost cause. I dont mean to sound dramatic but thats how i feel, I have been drinkin for 8 years and im now 26, its become a problem during the last 4 years. I really wanna stop drinking and beleive i can. I went to aa for the first time a week ago and found it amazing the only thing was i had drunk before the meeting and felt like scum the next day. Im not alcohol dependent but am probably one step from being like that, the worst i have had is if i dont drink for 4 days i have night sweats for about a week. I have aa tommorow and am determined to make it work, if any of u could give me some advice id be forever grateful. one love
Old 11-19-2012, 02:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome bradley. You are wise to be facing this now, before you are totally dependent on it. I'm sure you've heard that alcohol is a progressive disease. I didn't understand what that meant, until I was drinking all day - every day.

When I was 26 the signs were already there - I didn't have the sense to be honest with myself. I went on for many more years trying to control my drinking. In the process, I almost lost my life. This won't happen to you!
Old 11-19-2012, 02:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello,

keep going to those meetings is the best thing I can suggest. Look for the similarities, not the differences, in people.

I'm on two years eleven months now, so you can do it too. I was a hopeless drunk. Now I feel great.
Play that first drink through to the end and the misery it'll bring.

You sound determined, keep a good atitude and just don't take that first drink.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! You're smart to quit drinking while you're still young so you won't be full of regrets when you get to be my age.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Bradley,

Welcome!

I have found that, from the early days on, balance has been the basis of my recovery. I come here to SR, I exercise each day, I read books on spirituality and I have learned to listen to my soul. I found that changing daily routines helped a lot in the beginning, as in avoiding familiar stores, people, etc.

Know for sure that you can do this and we are here to offer support.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thank u so much hevyn ,ghostlight and least ,im sorry im a beginner so not really sure how it all works. does it get easier the longer u stay away from al;cohol?
ive never tried to give up completely until now, unfortunatel i cant moderate,
Old 11-19-2012, 03:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi anna i love to exercise aswell im abit of an an extremist u see so i suppose its best to be obsessive over exercise than drink, at leat that way its healthier!!!
Old 11-19-2012, 03:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Bradley, For me it definitely got easier the longer I was sober. It felt very odd not having it in my life at first. I drank for over 30 years, though. It was part of everything I did.

Knowing you can't moderate saves you a world of hurt later on. I kept insisting I could do it. I think your attitude will serve you well.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Bradley

Glad you're going to AA. I have found that it gets easier not to drink but then it is easy to forget why I quit in the first place. It's far too easy to get complacent. To me being sober is so much more than just not drinking. It's a whole new way of life

Glad you're here x
Old 11-19-2012, 04:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

hevyn u sound like u know exactly what ur talking about and hypercondriac i know what youres sayin, but do u think its ever possible for a "drunk" to drink moderately???????????
Old 11-19-2012, 05:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Bradley - welcome

No.

I don't think it's possible...I spent 20 years trying to drink moderately.

No matter how good my intentions were...everything always went out the window once I drank.

Alcohol changes me. Alcohol and I have a toxic relationship.
If I were to drink 25 years from now, I could expect the same miserable results.

Not what you want to hear I guess but I believe there's no amount of time that can 'reset' a drinker like me.

D