Notices

Stopped sweating

Old 11-19-2012, 01:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stopped sweating

I'm on Day 24 and, I'd say, after about day 10 I stopped profusely sweating at every given opportunity. I used to be constantly wiping my brow & face and I could feel the sweat running down my back sometimes.

This has to be linked to quiting wine.

I'm having a hard time remembering how I suffered when drinking and this is such a positive change I'd like to know more. Does anyone know what causes sweating in drinkers? Is it hormonal? Liver overload? Or withdrawal?

If anyone has done some research or knows the answer I'd be really grateful as this will help me stay stopped for sure. It's the most unpleasant side effect to drinking that I had and I almost forgot about it until I reflected. The mind is very good at remembering the bad stuff I think!

Thanks

S x
Old 11-19-2012, 01:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't know the answers to your questions but I do I experienced the same thing. Especially at night. I even thought I was having hot flashes. I can't remember when it went away but it definitely did.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good to know I'm not alone! I really want to know the mechanics / causes behind it as I know that will help me to cement my decision to quit. I sweated a lot!!

S x
Old 11-19-2012, 01:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Sazzle,
I suffered "night sweats" a lot with alcohol, not sure if that's part of the same thing?
Great stuff on your Day 24!!! :-)
Best,
G
Old 11-19-2012, 01:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Goth! Mine was all day long sweats. Didn't ever sweat at night idly enough!

S x
Old 11-19-2012, 01:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Your body is getting rid of toxins, it's doing exactly what it's supposed to. Well done on 24 days!!
Old 11-19-2012, 01:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think your body is just doing what it's supposed to do. I'm glad that you're feeling better.
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well, when I was drinking heavily(moreso than I had been in this last relapse) I was also overweight. I had a huge sweating rpoblem, especially my face. it was embarrassing. I noticed with the weight loss and I had been sober for 4 + months, it went away. I am still better. Maybe get night sweats of I have "too much" wine and am headed for a hangover.

Seemed in part due to my obesity as well as the drinking. But I would sweat even when not drinking.

After losing 50 pounds(it had been 60), I am freezing much of the time!
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sazzle View Post
Does anyone know what causes sweating in drinkers? Is it hormonal? Liver overload? Or withdrawal?
S x
Ask your Doctor to assess your specific situation, but in general, it's important to remember that alcohol is poison and it stresses the liver, kidneys, heart, and endocrine system (glands and hormone secretion), not to mention the central nervous system (i.e., brain). The list goes on...

Your body is in overdrive to get rid of the toxins in your system and that is why you sweat so much.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks rochelle I think you've hit the nail on the head. When I was drinking I was overweight as well. I've lost 10lbs since quiting and that has probably helped me in the sweating department as well! You describe exactly how I was.

Thanks.
S x
Old 11-19-2012, 02:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've experienced sweating also, sometimes it's the day after a heavy night of drinking, I'd sweat and my heart would kind of pound. I think it's what others are saying, that your liver and kidney's is working extra hard to get read of the toxin and your heart is pounding to deliver blood to the over-stressed organs. I've even felt numbness in my arms or legs at these times, because they aren't getting enough blood. It's scary to think of how poisoned our body is getting from consuming alcohol and we do it just for it's effect on pickling, numbing and killing our brain.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Glad to hear it Sazzle I was so happy when my night sweats stopped, it was only a few weeks after I stopped drinking. I have no idea what causes it but I had it before I quit anyway, to a lesser extent. I remember the summer before I quit I was away and was having three showers a day but it didn't seem to help, and my hair was always really greasy. All really gross stuff that I don't have to put up with any more x
Old 11-19-2012, 05:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I suffered from that too - I never researched it but I agree it just the body doing what it needs to do.

Like you say, it gets better

D
Old 11-19-2012, 07:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks guys

I suppose I should just enjoy my recovery and it question it too much.

hypochondriac yes! The greasy hair. My hair used to get wet from sweating and you've just reminded me that I need to wash my hair less often now!

I so enjoying this ride!

S x
Old 11-19-2012, 08:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Me to, I had the DT's lasted quite a while and I never even new it was dangereous

Glad your feeling better
Old 11-19-2012, 10:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I sweated today just from eating a sandwich, and I'm not overweight. Embarrassing. Didn't sweat any other time during the day.

I also have thin blood, so the tiniest abrasion and the bleeding is really embarrassing. All due to alcohol I'm sure. I tend to agree with people before me. Your body's doing what it needs to do to readjust. Congratulations on losing the weight.