What should I expect at newcomer al anon meeting?

Old 11-18-2012, 05:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What should I expect at newcomer al anon meeting?

As I've mentioned before, I'm new here and attending my first al anon meeting tomorrow night. There's a newcomers meeting at 7 and the regular meeting at 8. Can anyone please give me an idea of what to expect as a first timer?
Old 11-18-2012, 05:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

I do not have any experience with a newcomers meeting. Maybe some one will be along to share tonight or tomorrow, weekends are slower on this forum.

I do have experience with regular meetings.
I have attended different groups. And they all have this in common: warm welcomes and genuine caring.

One group I attended also had an added bonus (for me at that time) : sober hugs!

Let us know about your experience with your group.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I also never attended a newcomers meeting - just hopped right into an established group. The first day - hugs. Lots of hugs. I was not a hugger (I am now!) so it was weird. And no one would tell me how to get him to stop drinking!!! Took at least 5 meetings for me to really grasp that Al-Anon is for us.

I also went to a variety of meetings to see if one was a good fit. A few were ok, one was not, and the last group stuck. Now that's my home group.

Go. Keep going. It's worth it.
~T

P.S. I cried the entire first few meetings. Don't be afraid - many first-timers just sit and cry. One arm around a box of tissues in front of a room of strangers - I cried my heart out. So NOT me, but I tell you, it was exactly what I needed!
Old 11-18-2012, 08:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Iceberg Ahead!

The format of the beginners' meetings depends on the group. Some have just one member there to meet you, walk you through some program basics, answer some of your questions, clue you in to the regular meeting format/procedure (e.g., no crosstalk, no mention of treatment centers or therapies, no "fixing") and sit with you through your first regular meeting. Others can be quite in depth and structured: http://www.al-anon.org/members/pdf/guidelines/G02.pdf

I trust you will find just what you need.

Keep coming back!