Notices

New to recovery

Old 11-18-2012, 05:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to recovery

Hello all, I found this site during a google search and am very glad I did. I hurt my back seriously in March and the doctor put me on Oxycontin/Oxycondon, I recently had surgery to correct my back problem and I feel pretty good in that area so the doc said it was time to get off these drugs. Had I known at the time how I would been feeling at this moment I wouldn't have started taking them. I feel horrible trying to get off of them, my legs hurt, I ache all over, I can't hold anything down (my abs feel like I have spend days at the gym), I haven't slept in days and I just feel all around rotten. It is hard to explain the feeling actually. I know how easy it would be to take another pill to take away this horrible feeling but I am trying to stay strong and not do that because eventually I will have to get off them anyway. I just want to feel normal again. How long does this last? I can't seem to find anything to tell me how long these symptoms last?
I have never been through anything like this in my life and it is giving me a new found respect for anyone who has.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Hi Snowhite, those physicall symptoms last up to 2 weeks, after 3 days they start to ease. Welcome to SR glad you found us. You will find plenty of support here.

Kevin
Old 11-18-2012, 05:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

((snowhite)) - Welcome to SR! From what I've read, here, ((Kevin)) is right...it's no fun to go through it, but there is an end in sight.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-18-2012, 05:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Have you talked to you Doc about the symptoms? Its a good idea to tell him or her
Old 11-18-2012, 05:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Snow, I am new too. I started having back problems in 2007. Over the past few years I have started drinking because it helps the pain. I hated Vicodin and the other drugs because how dopey it made me. I have not had surgery but have had lots of steroid injections which don't really help anymore anyways.

I need to stop drinking because I have Hepatitis C. It is crazy for me to be drinking. It is a death sentence.

I wish you all the luck in the world. Right now I am just doing one day at a time. I am telling myself that if I want to drink tomorrow that is fine, but for today I won't drink.

Junebug
Old 11-18-2012, 05:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi snowhite, For me the physical part was a lot better after day 4 or so. I did find a combination of vitamins and what not the help me personally but we are not allowed to get medical advice on here.

If your doctor helping you stop? I know it may seem like you will never feel better but trust me, you will.

I was also on doctor prescribed pain medication and Agree that had i know being on it for so long during my surgeries would have resulted in this. I may have dealt with the pain or taken way less.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR

D
Old 11-18-2012, 07:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks all for replying. I didn't talk to my doctor about these symptoms but. Think I will see him tomorrow then, he is the one that told me it was time to stop so I guess I assumed he would give me something if he could. I guess he just didn't think it would be like this. I'm glad to have found the support because I'm going crazy and know how easy it would be to go take another to take away these symptoms. But I know I would just start all over again and I certainly don't want that. At least I seem to have stopped throwing up.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

(((((Snow)))))))
I am glad you are going to your doctor for help. My doctor recently retired. I wish I could go see him.