Notices

Day 1

Old 11-18-2012, 01:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1

Hello,

I'm Ewan and 44 years old and live in Sydney, Australia. I have an alcoholic Father and I struggled with that through my child and young adult-hood. I have never been a drinker or drug user until nearly a couple of years ago I had a relationship with a person who had a borderline personality disorder. My professional sporting career ended and I started drinking to fill the 'high' gaps that the sport endorphins gave me.

I was 78kg then and now I am nearly 20kg heavier at 95kg and I have a poor self image and am in a vicious cycle. I drink almost every night when I am not working and I want the old Ewan back. I want to stop drinking wine because I am overweight, it's not good for my health and I have lost friends.

The irony is I am becoming just like my Father.

I have decided to do something about it and share my humble story and gain my support from others stories.

Any advice in the initial stages would be really helpful - I know how good I feel when I don't drink and wake up fresh and full of life but when I do drink, it's hard to find the off button! Well I want to turn it off and pull the fuse - it has to be a complete non-drinking life because after my journey I cannot stop at just 1 or 2. Yes I know myself quite well and am ashamed I have reached this point where I feel so dependent and fat because of drinking. I never imagined this would have happened to me.

Ewan
Old 11-18-2012, 02:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good on yer. I am day one too after a day at Twickenham!
P90X is worth buying to get you back in shape. An hour a day of old fashioned exercise. Youtube it. I have done almost 90 days and lost almost 30 pounds. A shame I stupidly tried drinking normally, and failed!
Anyway, good luck, you are not your Farther, you can get the old YOU back.
Join me as a day one club. Good luck!
Old 11-18-2012, 03:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Quite hilarious - I've just been looking at P90X!! Well done to you too!

I'm joining your club - I too tried drinking and failed. Thanks for the words from London!

Day 1 lays ahead and my danger time is about 5pm...then the cravings start and my goal for my day today is to eat well, walk and have as much sparkling water as I need come that time. I am also visualizing what it was like as a kid and seeing what Dad did to himself. That will assist in stopping me reach for a drink. I know I can do it, I will be the old me back again and that's non negotiable!

The day 1 club begins...
Old 11-18-2012, 03:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Fantastic!

You may think this is silly, but I am using this little mind game to stop today and I used it last time succesfuly too.

Imagine that you are an Allied Aircrew shot down over Germany. The only torture the interogator has is "you can not have a drink"

Do you think you and I can hold out? Will he make us talk. I think we are a little tougher than cracking under the torture.

The first four days are quite hellish to be fair. BUT, nothing that plenty of water, some pain killers for the headaches and some treats like icecream, cheesecake etc cant handle. (the diet can wait a week)

It is a bit of a challenge, but I felt wonderful after ten days last time and the exercise, healthy eating and p90x forums all helped. As does this forum.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Ewan

Originally Posted by Ewan
My professional sporting career ended and I started drinking to fill the 'high' gaps that the sport endorphins gave me.
Somebody posted something the other day about it being common that sporty people develop drink problems for just that reason. I used to be addicted to exercise once, though it's hard to believe now. I think I need to get back to that! Glad you're here x
Old 11-18-2012, 03:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ewan, I have been there about the BPD part. Almost a year out and I'm still the shadow of my former self. You can send me a personnal message if you need to talk

BPDfamilly, look it up.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Tabasco - I just ordered P90X - and as for the interrogation - EASY!

My sport was an official in a prominent footy code at the highest level. The high's, the rush, the adrenaline and endorphins were my drug and then when I retired - a BPD person in my life and drinking.

This is turning into a good Australian and Ewan Monday.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well done! A great day indeed. Teamripped is a good forum for advice on the diet and exercise you are about to start.

Day one almost over for me, Sunday, stay VERY strong. Do not fail, it really is only a few days before the drug is out of our bodies. At around 5.00 go for a long walk and plan your much better and healthy future in your head. I also sometimes look up death by alcohol liver failure, organ failure through drink etc on google.

It was a good weekend for Australia! And a better day for us. Day one is our birthday.:day1
Old 11-18-2012, 04:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Ewan

You'll find a lot of encouragement support and ideas here for sure

D
Old 11-18-2012, 04:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Day 1

This is my first day as well and I want to stop drinking too. One thing I have been doing today is keeping a big cold glass of lemon water. When I go to the store I am going to stock my frig with bottle water so that I always have something to grab. We can do this, another 1st day member.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well done everyone in the Day 1 Club! Cannot thank you enough - just focusing on today and have heaps of water and healthy snacks and yes Mr I will be going for a 5pm walk!!

Also looked up the BPD families link - insightful and some questions already answered.

Happy Birthday Day One Club

:day1
Old 11-18-2012, 05:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

1 Day

What and where is the PBD family link?
Old 11-18-2012, 05:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

sorry BPD Link
Old 11-18-2012, 05:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am also having trouble getting in a chat room.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Happy to meet you, Ewan. You're not alone with this. I felt so much better when I came here and shared my thoughts with others. Thankfully, you've realized where your drinking would probably take you - some never get it.

Congratulations on wanting a better life for yourself. You can do this, Ewan.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Hi Ewan, welcome to SR You seem to be getting to know people. I am just down the road from you in Melbourne!
Old 11-18-2012, 05:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Gorgeous Melbourne - been ages!

It's amazing just reading other people's journeys and stories - Visits to this website will be a daily discipline!
Old 11-18-2012, 11:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Walked at 5pm - bought an extra 6 by 1.5 litres of sparkling water - I have a headache and feel crappy on night one but I have panadol and a sleeping aid if need be - makes me realize how hideous the effects of drinking are.

All good - day 1 done!
Old 11-18-2012, 11:11 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hello!
Old 11-19-2012, 12:07 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hello!