Notices

First time I have reached out

Old 11-18-2012, 12:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First time I have reached out

Hello, This is the first time I have reached out for any sort of support in trying to quit drinking. I have tried many times to quit alcohol without success. I feel that I cannot do this without the encouragement and support from others who have been and are going down the same path as me.

I am a binge drinker and have been for close to twenty years. There have been times that I will drink during the week and still feel drunk in the morning at work the next day. I have also started taking stupid risks like drink driving in order to get more alcohol so I don't have to sober up.

Generally of late I would say I binge about twice a week. My weekends are a total write off, often with embarrassing results. My reputation is starting to spread through out my work place. My reputation is well known amongst my family and friends back at home. I have no romantic relationship to speak of because who wants to hang around a messy drunk or wasted hungover guy.

I actually rarely go out on the town. Due to work I have moved interstate and so prefer to sit and drink on the computer, playing games and chatting with family and friends online. This is a trigger for me, but I do not wish to give up gaming just the drinking part of that activity.

Earlier in the year I worked really hard at losing a considerable amount of weight, but now due to alcohol and hangovers I have virtually stopped any real physical activity and am once again getting fat.

It is Sunday today. I have recovered from my last binge which was Friday from about 1000 in the morning to Saturday evening. On this particular weekend I went out into the city with some friends. Nothing extraordinarily embarrassing happened however as you probably know, even if nothing outrageous happens you still feel embarrassed and also I am considerably poorer.

Today is my first day as a nondrinker. I look foward to being a regular in this forum and celebrating the first of many years sobriety on 18 November 2013, and I look foward to getting to know all of you in the coming months.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi & welcome to SR from a fellow binger. You've come to the right place.

Your introduction was spookily similar to mine. I still get loads of people at work ask me on a Friday, if I'm out on the lash. That reputation takes a while to go. I just laugh it off but inside, I realise I was a walking cliche!

Good luck

S x
Old 11-18-2012, 12:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Yes I could relate to your story too. I've got a reputation amongst certain groups of friends as a wild crazy drinker which I hate but is probably well deserved. Well no probably about it actually. Just well deserved.
You sound like you're really ready to make a commitment to sobriety. That is really good.
Take time to read others posts, find out what is working for them. Keep posting yourself.
This is a great place to be, glad you're here x
Old 11-18-2012, 01:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well that sounds very familiar. I am also starting today so on the journey with you. I had a bender on Friday night and suffering from alcohol paranoia.....sure you know what I mean.....have to get the work car fixed cause I went straight over a roundabout and blew the tyre.....not looking forward to tomorrow at work but am looking forward to quitting
Old 11-18-2012, 01:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Smile

Thank you for the support Sazzle, Jeni and Tiredman. Unfortunately I think it is a very common story. I think I've definately made the right decision joining this community. It feels good talking about this with people who understand where you're coming from.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tiredman View Post
Well that sounds very familiar. I am also starting today so on the journey with you. I had a bender on Friday night and suffering from alcohol paranoia.....sure you know what I mean.....have to get the work car fixed cause I went straight over a roundabout and blew the tyre.....not looking forward to tomorrow at work but am looking forward to quitting
Hey Tiredman! I'm glad you're here too. I hope things will be ok at work. Let us know what happens if you feel like it.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Christopher99,

Everything you wrote strikes home like a lightning bolt. Thank you.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Chris,
I have found this forum and AA invaluable. Hope you get the support you need to stay sober.
caiHong
Old 11-18-2012, 02:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR Plenty of room and support here
Old 11-18-2012, 02:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Will do....hope you go well also....I like this site so I will be checking in regularly I think....I will keep my eye out for you....
Old 11-18-2012, 02:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Chris x
Old 11-18-2012, 04:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to a great recovery site!
Old 11-18-2012, 04:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

As I was reading I thought I was reading my own story. I'm a newbie also. Hopefully we can stop this thing together.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome! Congrats on taking the step to admit an issue and reach out. I really like this site....it has been very helpful to me.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome Christopher. Good support, encouragement and information can be found here.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:10 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Best wishes to you! today is the perfect day to stop!
Old 11-18-2012, 10:08 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome Chris and Tiredman,

This is a great place to start that journey to sobriety!! I joined in the past and didn't check in daily. Also, when I slipped rather than logging back on I continued to drink. I am on Day 38 and checking in on SR daily has helped me remain accountable.

Read and post lots, there are great people on this site!!!!
Old 11-18-2012, 10:12 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-21-2012, 01:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Smile

Hello,

today I am currently enjoying my 5th day clear. I have past a few triggers throughout the week. For some reason Tuesday is often a binge evening for me. Last Tuesday a friend came over wanting to drink, usually that would be it, I would be in and regretting it on Wednesday at work. I found it strangely easy to resist. The funny thing is this friend of mine recently attempted to quit drinking himself. Up until last weekend, for maybe 2 weeks he managed to. stay off it. Last weekend when he came knocking on my door at 9am drunk and wanting to drink with me, was the last binge I went on. I haven’t told him I have quit, I’m a fairly private sort of person and I figure friends and family will soon work it out themselves.

Anyway I woke up on Wednesday feeling great! When I got to work another friend started talking to me. ‘I didn’t get to sleep until 2am last night’ she said to me. It turns out she was a bit stressed from work and decided to grab a six pack and have a few drinks with her partner. This soon turned into more beer plus some bottles of wine...I was thinking to myself...How many times have I been where she is now? Many....She was quite friendly and cheerful in the morning, probably because she was still a bit chirpy from the wine. But by say 11am onwards she was really struggling and not very approachable.

Well today is my 5th day and I am felling grand. Thursday can sometimes be a trigger too but I’m confident I’ll stay true. Its Friday that will be the real test!

Everybody hang in there.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:12 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

Christopher, great job on 5 days! Welcome to SR!

Dom