What is Clonazepam & Gabapentin & what is it doing to him :(

Old 11-17-2012, 02:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What is Clonazepam & Gabapentin & what is it doing to him :(

Hello everyone,

Today I'm needing some answers. If I'm going to be living with an addict I want to understand the extent of his use. Which probably is impossible.. But i at least want to know what he's putting in his body......
This morning I found another stash of my boyfriends pills. He is using a lot more different types than I originally thought. It's called Clonazepam (benzodiazepines)? As well i found Gabapentin. And I have no idea what either of these pills is.
He started out with using coke, which he still does. Then I found him smoking fentanyl which scared the living crap out of me. I believe he has stopped with that, at least for now. He admitted it scared him too because the high was really intense. He must have been worried because i found him googling about what it can do to you. I'm not sure if I believe him or If hes just saying it scared him to make me think he won't do it again. Then I found out he was abusing hydromorphone (diluadid) every day. It's been an incredibly hard, emotionally and physically draining experience. This morning, finding more of these pills just makes my fears escalate x1000. Can anyone tell me what Clonazepam or gabapentin is? And how does mixing these Drugs with opiates like hydromorphone as well as alcohol affect him?? Is he just asking to overdose?? This is killing me. I have set up a counseling session. Monday my first one. I just need some clarity. His addiction is devastating me. It is the middle of the day and he is still sleeping. What on earth are these drugs he's taking now? Does anyone know. Thank you
Old 11-17-2012, 02:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

May I just add that he has tried to stop cold turkey with the hydromorph & alcohol. He gets the shakes if he doesn't drink. He doesn't drink to a ridiculous excess, but consistent enough to withdraw from it. He's also told me the withdrawals from the painkillers give him bad pains in his joints. Ugh, I wish there was something i could do for him.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My son is in recovery and has been prescribed this drugs for anxiety and depression.
With all the years of drug abuse he started to have a sleeping disorder. So I know he was prescribed gabapentin and tralzedone (not sure of the spelling) to help him sleep.
Good luck...drug addiction is a terrible lifestyle to live with. I hope your boyfriend will reach out for help.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I saw your second post!
Your boyfriend is a drug addict and an alcoholic. He is drinking to excess if he is feeling the sight affects of alcohol withdrawl. He needs to come to the realization and then accept that he CAN NOT do drugs or alcohol period!
My son had the same side effects from drugs and alcohol. He did not want to give up any of his drugs or his alcohol but the consequences of his drug use and drinking were apparent. He would go back and forth saying okay I'll not do drugs and I will just drink.
Typical addict thinking, because it did not take him long to spiral down hill. He is weeks away from being 24 and he has gone to the hospital at least three times that I know for pancreatisis... Oding you name it.
I am amazed at how much the human body can withstand!!! The drugs and alcohol that are consumed are mind boggling to me. Their poor body's are over worked and so tired. It makes me very, very sad to think about it, especially when we visually see the deterioration of our loved one.
We all understand it is painful for addicts to transition back to a normal life it takes so much discipline and courage.
I'm sure others will come along and post their thoughts.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

>What on earth are these drugs he's taking now? Does anyone know

What does it matter? Are you willing to put up with his behavior?
Old 11-17-2012, 03:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Is he just asking to overdose??

Any addict can overdose at any time usually they just think it can never be them and/or the drug runs them it is their owner so they do it anyways.

Right now your focus is all on him time to focus on you.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

What isn't this guy addicted to? It really doesn't make any difference, he is hard core drug addict and alcoholic.

And...what happened to you wanting your life back? If you do, start working on you.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

He needs to see a medical doctor to withdrawal from alcohol n benz its extremely dangerous to detox with this. We cannot give medical advice here sorry (see rules) but we can give support n advice based on experience.

First of all - welcome to the forum n secondly, so very sorry that you are going through.
Basically your bf has an addiction. Sometimes 1 min addicts can now of the dangers or be going through something unpleasants n vow never use use again, the next they want them as if its never happen n really they turn into someone they're not.
You say it's devastating you. What are you going to do FOR you to make sure you are ok. There are meetings for friends / family or haddicts called sl anon. Would you consider seeing if one is in your area n go? It may help you. Also please keep posting n reading there are people who will be here for you who know what you are going through.

Hugs n take care, thinking of you
Evey xoxox
Old 11-17-2012, 04:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by crazybabie View Post
Is he just asking to overdose??

Any addict can overdose at any time usually they just think it can never be them and/or the drug runs them it is their owner so they do it anyways.

Right now your focus is all on him time to focus on you.
I don't think it's that they think they won't OD I think the need for it over rides the fear but please don't take my word for it it's just an opinion x
Old 11-17-2012, 05:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Restoring myself to sanity

Originally Posted by Taking5 View Post
>What on earth are these drugs he's taking now? Does anyone know

What does it matter? Are you willing to put up with his behavior?
What Taking5 said--

It doesn't matter what drugs he is taking.. No matter how much you search, research, try I control his usage, he's still going to abuse then until he is ready to stop.. Trust me on this!!!

My STXAH started out with oxy's, Zanex etc.. He's since graduated to smoking spice and God only knows what. An addict will take anything to get high..

You must separate yourself from his addiction and seek help for yourself.. I agree with what another poster said earlier.. Get yourself to a meeting and seek your own recovery..
Old 11-17-2012, 06:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Clonazepan is Klonopin a benzo…
Gabapentin is Neurotin, a med that helps with nerve pain, also is used in low doses for restless legs, and I think it might be used in certain instances to treat seizures, but not to sure about the last one.

Is he trying to kick, because these are sometimes used in, in home kicks to help lessen the pain. Do you know if he actually taking them? They might be around as a just in case. Insane isn’t it, welcome to his madness.

To be very honest if you are hanging around and hell even if you leave you are going to have to accept the reality of this disease which is that it can kill him. And this isn’t about losing faith it is just the truth. That was the only way I could put the focus back on me, accept that my husband could die, hell would if he didn’t get himself some help.

He is way out of control and hanging at the top of the chain smoking fentanyl. The high too intense, trust me if nothing else is working he will be right back in it. Is he interested at all in getting help? If he isn’t you are going to have figure out if you can stay around and watch the insanity unfold. Because this will get worse, it always does. Please do not let him talk you into helping him kick at home. He is in deep and is gonna need help and you will not be equipped to give it to him.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the replies. Yes, he has tried to kick at home. It was a major fail. I'm not sure if he is using these or just has them around. I'm at the point right now that I'm so sick and tired of being codependant and worrying about him, that I'm going to do something for myself instead.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

[

Clonazapam is anti_seizure medication which is prescribed to treat anxiety. It is very addictive and hell when you try to get off it.

B][/B]
Originally Posted by mkr86 View Post
Hello everyone,

Today I'm needing some answers. If I'm going to be living with an addict I want to understand the extent of his use. Which probably is impossible.. But i at least want to know what he's putting in his body......
This morning I found another stash of my boyfriends pills. He is using a lot more different types than I originally thought. It's called Clonazepam (benzodiazepines)? As well i found Gabapentin. And I have no idea what either of these pills is.
He started out with using coke, which he still does. Then I found him smoking fentanyl which scared the living crap out of me. I believe he has stopped with that, at least for now. He admitted it scared him too because the high was really intense. He must have been worried because i found him googling about what it can do to you. I'm not sure if I believe him or If hes just saying it scared him to make me think he won't do it again. Then I found out he was abusing hydromorphone (diluadid) every day. It's been an incredibly hard, emotionally and physically draining experience. This morning, finding more of these pills just makes my fears escalate x1000. Can anyone tell me what Clonazepam or gabapentin is? And how does mixing these Drugs with opiates like hydromorphone as well as alcohol affect him?? Is he just asking to overdose?? This is killing me. I have set up a counseling session. Monday my first one. I just need some clarity. His addiction is devastating me. It is the middle of the day and he is still sleeping. What on earth are these drugs he's taking now? Does anyone know. Thank you
Old 11-18-2012, 06:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Clonazepam is the generic name for Klonopin, a benzodiazapene. Gabapentin is an epilepsy drug. Neither is a good thing to buy on the street and take without a doctor's supervision.

Here's some additional info:

Klonopin Side Effects - Pharmacy Drug Guide
Gabapentin - Pharmacy Drug Guide

I'm glad you're going to counseling tomorrow. It would be a good idea to go to an AlAnon meeting as well - the more support for YOU, the better.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Cynical One stated something that we (on the other side of this) really don't get. My ex husband told me that the biggest rush was the "bell ringer". That was when he would hear bells in his head ...probably due to the increase in blood pressure.... but, anyway....he said the goal was to get as high as you could get without dying. And yes, the waking up the next day was the thrill as well. He told me he didn't care about whether he died or not when he used. Addiction does not make sense. It can't. That's addiction and it creates insanity. Guess what? My ex was my bell ringer. He was my getting as close to death as possible and seeing if I survived. That is what living with someone in addiction is....

One thing that I realized that the depth of my "love" for him, my commitment to someone that sick, my tolerance for his choices/actions spoke more about me than it did about him. It was all well and good for me to judge him and the depth of his sickness...but what did it say about me that in my sober mind I chose him to be my partner? I had to get real and stop focusing on how sick he was and what he needed to do to get better. My finger that was pointing at him had 3 pointing right back at me.

I figured that someone that was that "in love" with someone that sick had to be pretty sick herself. I was right....I was REALLY really REALLY sick and in desparate need of help and recovery. When I got it that my life lesson at the time was to recognize the sickness in my own soul I started taking the steps that I needed for me. It has been taking me years to dig out of that sickness...and I'm still at it. But he is no longer in my life and I am learning each day more and more about what is emotional sobriety.

I'm only sharing my personal story...I'm not trying to do anything more than to say I understand and I've been there. I've read every book on addiction that there is. I've taken graduate level courses to understand it. What I've learned is that knowing that someone is behaving in an addictive manner (whether with drugs, video games, sex, whatever) is not a system I want to participate in. I will wish them well but that's it. Addiction is what it is....and recovery won't occur until that person decides on their own that it is worth it to them and that they will do whatever it takes to get it. On "their side" or ours....it's all the same. How in the world can we begin to ask another person to do what we aren't willing to do for ourselves?

I'm glad that you've found our site. There are many of us here that are where you are now or have been where you are. This journey has many along the road that will reach out their hands to you as you work to find your way. You are not alone.....
Old 11-18-2012, 09:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mkr86 View Post
Clonazepam
Gabapentin
coke
fentanyl
diluadid
alcohol
As a long-term recovering alcoholic/addict, I will say that list gives me the chills.

Four of those I know for sure are central nervous system depressants. The abuse of just one or a combination of any is toxic, a potential coma and death. Yes, clonazepam is a benzodiazapine.

I take gabapentin for nerve pain, but had no idea it was something people abuse till I read your post. I have diabetic neuropathy and nerve pain from degenerative disc disease. It is a non-narcotic alternative to treating that pain for me.

I was also married to an active alcoholic/addict. He loved shooting up diluadid whenever he got the chance, which was rare. Most of the time we both shot crystal meth, and he drank a lot of alcohol. Personally I didn't like to add alcohol to the meth.

I had to walk away from that man for my own sanity/safety after I successfully completed rehab for myself.

He eventually remarried.

He was buried a few years ago at the age of 47, complications due to AIDS, a direct result of his lifestyle.

Untreated addictions do lead to jails, institutions, and death. I guarantee that.

Please get involved in your own recovery or you will be drug even further down with him. Naranon or Alanon meetings, individual counseling, lots of good reading, go through the "sticky" topics at the top of this forum. Get yourself a circle of support!

Please do keep posting. You have landed among friends.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Just curious is your boyfriend prescribed these meds (which is possible) or just buying them off the street?
Old 11-18-2012, 07:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

He buys them off the street. DOC currently is hyrdomorphone / hydromorph contin. I'm unsure if there is even a difference. But these pills are ruining the man he was.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:52 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

The difference is hydromorphone contin is extended release. Generally they will scrape the coating off the pill and then use it.

My AH is also addicted to pain killers albeit prescribed for chronic pain. We went through the ringer with this when we first moved in together as he hid his level of addiction and abuse from me. I called it the "Nods" - perfectly fine then as the drugs kicked in he would fall asleep in mid sentence. Sometimes with his hands and arms still in mid air as he was talking like someone pressed stop on a recording. Oh boy, I remember those days well.

We have experienced 2 overdoses - once intentional and once not. The first was when he was having a very, very bad day pain wise and he decided eating the goo out of a fentanyl patch was a good idea. He was laying on the floor barely alive after 45 minutes. 911 - me giving CPR till they got there - narcon - and then he was put in a psyche ward as they thought it a suicide attempt. That's the only thing that makes me smile when I think about that hee hee hee.

After that I left. Yes I came back obviously.....but with some boundaries regarding his pain management.

The second overdose he had taken his meds and was putzing around then just started going into a trance. He stood at the kitchen sink with his arm in the air, eyes closed and one hand in the sink splashing around in dish water. Weirdest thing I have ever seen. This time he didn't stop breathing but another 911 call and trip to ER for some narcon. This time though, his levels came back perfectly normal - and he said he didn't take more than prescribed. It wasn't an "overdose" per se. What we were told is that sometimes "that is just what happens". That scared the crap out of him, and I was at wits end dealing with it anyway and he knew it. So started the journey in getting off pills. Morphine for him. He didn't want to go into rehab and detox - too scared with his health issues and he had been through pill withdrawel before when he had tried to get off them himself. This is a very, very, very difficult detox as I have read and was told by the professionals we did contact. He instead opted to work with pain management and gradually reduce his amounts. That was almost 2 years ago. He is down to 25% of what he used to be prescribed that is how long it takes (well that way anyway). We hope for him to be completely off them in the next couple of months.

My AH is also addicted to xanax (a benzo) also prescribed. That drug he has been tapering off as well. I was surprised to be told by his Dr's that the addiction to Benzo's is far more severe than the addiction to pain killers far more difficult to detox. The tapering off of that drug as been much slower. It will be the end of the year next year before it will be down far enough to stop.

All I can tell you mkr86 is that when AH (was sober) and abusing his medications it was no quality of life for me. None. He slept constantly. Talked gibberish when he was high (if that's what its called I call it comatose) - had no memory. Once we went to a dinner party and he fell asleep at the dinner table. The pills disturb sleep patterns so even though they look asleep they aren't going into normal sleep mode - they are never rested. Of course I would have no idea when he took the pills if we were going out its not like you can smell them on their breath. No sex life either - it killed that. Mixing with alcohol is a killer - now mine is relapsing with alcohol and even he said that worries HIM so I have noticed he will not take pain meds or xanax when he drinks - thankfully he seems to be on hiatus from alcohol we will see how long that lasts..

Given that I have dealt with both I have to tell you - to me in MY experience pills are a dead f'ing end a much harder battle than alcohol (only for me can't say everyone). Wait until he can't get his hands on any you want to talk about scary whew.....I experienced that once when we were out of town and AH left without meds. Needless to say we had to go home.

Until AH feared them he wouldn't have stopped. They are SO SO DANGEROUS. Wishing you success with your counseling. If BF isn't willing to get himself help RUN LIKE THE WIND lest you end up near crazy like I did.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:29 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi, redatlanta
thanks so much for your reply.
Wow, it sounds like you've been through a lot with your AH. Your situation is very similar to mine, except my AB hasn't od'd--- yet. I know that he does not take the pills orally. They come in capsules, he opens them and crushes the white beads & then snorts them. I'm guessing this is probably more dangerous. You describe the "nods" which I believe I've seen a few times. It's hard for me to tell he's on them. His eyes are so dark brown almost black so I can never see his pupils unless the light is right. He drinks about 6 beers a day, all the while going to the bathroom to snort more hydromorph. I know how bad and how dangerous it is for him to be mixing such strong painkillers with alcohol. It never really seems to have any affect on him though. He never acts drunk, incoherent or has trouble speaking. He seems normal. Just that his inner "light" is gone. His "self". He is just neutral all the time. Spends a lot of time playing video games. Our sex life has definitely taken a big hit because of this too. Last night when I returned home after a few hours, he was sleeping on the couch. I knew he would have been doing drugs while I was gone especially. I couldn't get him to wake up. He was passed right out. I could see white powder residue inside his nostrils. I freaked out thy he overdosed so i kept by him for a while but his skin was warm and his breathing normal. Still a scare though.
About a month and a half ago, He was smoking fentanyl for a little while. I caught him and kind of lost it because that's one drug I know you can't f*** around with. He says that it freaked him out and he isn't going to do it ever again. The patches are definitely not readily available to him. He said he came across someone who had them and tried it because it was something he'd never done. Said "but I don't like the way it makes me feel". I have a feeling it's bs. Im not sure if he's even snorting these pills to get high anymore or if its just to keep himself feeling "normal". He's told me his tolerance is high. He genuinely seems like he wants to get off these drugs, I feel he is just too afraid to experience the WDs. He also has warrants for his arrest for missing a court date and so because he is now wanted, i dont think he would want to have anything to do with going to detox or the hospital. It's silly and it's something I'm still trying to convince him otherwise.
He wants to try and quit at home. He's intent on it. I don't think it's going to work.
Meanwhile. I'm working on trying to get my head out of his addiction ad back into my own life. Constantly worrying about his is so draining. I started reading codependent no more and I have a counseling session this evening. Thanks for the well wishes, I hope I can find some clarity.