Notices

The way I see it.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Arrow The way I see it.

My psychologist told me that I was self-medicating.

Is there a definitive way to distinguish self-medicating from addiction?

It seems to me that if it is addiction, then one should feel somewhat normal after x number of days of abstinence...they would go from wanting alcohol to "man I am glad I quit drinking!!" If it is self-medication, then a person would feel bad no matter how many days pass. I think it is important that we have at least ballpark figure on that X number of days.

The way I see it is in this analogy:

If I am outside and it is bright, then I walk in to a dimly lit room, I'd have trouble seeing only for the first couple minutes, then I'd be able to see as my eyes adjust. I would have had a transient addiction to light by being outside...and the symptoms of withdrawal from that light would be there temporarily resolve over a finite period of time. (addiction)

If I take off my glasses, my vision will not get better no matter how much time passes. I am not addicted to my glasses, I am medicated by my glasses. (self-medication)

Thoughts, anyone?
Old 11-17-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was addicted and I was self medicating so I'm not sure where I'd fit in your analogy

D
Old 11-17-2012, 01:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Just stick around, cant hurt, you have nothing to loose and see how it goes for you.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I thought I was self medicating... to be honest now I think that was a slight BS theory, one I concocted to try and excuse my drinking. I really believed that if I sorted out the stuff I was self medicating about then my drinking would come under control. At no point did I factor in to the story that alcohol is an addictive substance.

Tbh I am not sure there is a definitive anything for anything when it comes to alcoholism. We are all different and recover differently too. I still don't feel 'ok' after 8 months. A million times better but not 100% comfortable/happy sober. But then I am not sure anyone is ever 100%. Alcoholic or no. I may have underlying problems but I am not in a rush to 'diagnose' anything because I think I need to adjust to sobriety first.

I love debates about alcoholism, it sure beats the 'just drink less' theories I have had thrown at me throughout life. But really I think the most important thing is what we do about it. I think if you were self medicating, were addicted psychologically or physically, got a bit dodgy in drink or whatever the problem, the solution is always the same. Every drinking problem can be fixed by quitting drinking.

Oh, and welcome to SR oddguy x